Time Travel Is Dangerous

Time Travel Is Dangerous

can going back hurt you in the long run?

424
Time Travel Is Dangerous
Time Travel Sound Effect

So many times I've been asked what I would do if I could time travel. I mean, at first, it's kind of a fun question, right? We all have things we regret, miss, or want to watch again. There are songs and movies and books about turning back the hands of time. What is it that drives our minds to wander into realms of "what if's?" We cling to certain events. I know I'm guilty of this but how many of you right now know EXACTLY where you would go back to?

I bet you already had your answer before you started reading. I've been thinking on this a lot lately, and my re-found obsession of Rick and Morty doesn't help. However, I have spent this summer dealing with the worst heartbreak of my life, and if you asked me this question three months ago you would get a very different answer.

My answer now is going back to myself when I was 18, and I would give him a hug. A big hug. Let him know everything will be OK. That's all. Innocent at first, but that would mean more to that kid than anything. I noticed, however, most people's answers had a common theme. Nostalgia. Something about "the good old days" makes us forget that today can be just as good. While reminiscing with an old friend is good, it's easy to forget all the awesomeness around us.

I'm in the midst of recording my debut album. Something I put on the back burner for years. I would NEVER have ended up making this record had I not been broken up with. Sure it sucked and all that, but at the same time, it opened doors I forgot even existed. I hope she feels the same way. Looking back so many people are afraid to let go because of nostalgia; why wouldn't we want things to stay where we are comfortable forever? It makes sense. Familiarity is great! It can be like a drug. People living in the past isn't just a line you hear in movies. It gets bad. To the point, people start making excuses for taking trips back there. I started this article with "what if you can time travel?" Well, you can! Every once in a while go ahead, take a trip. Say hello! No one ever asks "would you come back?" How many people could? Let's say you lost a loved one. How difficult would it be to come back to the present day after holding them? Telling them you love them? Them telling you they love you! Look, time travel is a dangerous game and nostalgia is a dangerous drug.

So try and focus on the here and now. Let the past be where it is. Let out your inner Rafiki and learn from it. It can be a pleasant trip. Just not a permanent stay.