A Time to Speak

A Time to Speak

The enemy is always trying to shut our mouths and silence our witness of God’s truth.

24
A Time to Speak

I’ve never been one to blurt out any thought that comes to my mind. I like to take plenty of time—years, possibly—to turn over every possible angle of a concept and the way it could be perceived before I make a statement.

In other words, I like control. I like to be in charge of my life and of what I say. I like to weigh the risks and avoid unnecessary drama or resistance.

But God has been challenging me. There is a time to be silent… and then, there is a time to speak. (Ecc. 3:7)

But, God, I’m Not Qualified

That was Jeremiah’s excuse.

When God called Jeremiah, he had no prior training to be a prophet. He was inferior to those around him. He was a child, without the authority to speak into the lives of those around him.

Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

(Jer. 1:6-7)

Notice that God did not deny Jeremiah’s words. He didn’t say, “Grow up! You’re an adult.” God did not reason, “Have you noticed how much those around you respect your opinion?”

God took an entirely different angle. He told Jeremiah to quit thinking about his own abilities. God said, in essence, “I am sending you. And that is enough.”

And though Jeremiah would face tremendous opposition, God gave him a promise. No matter what Jeremiah encountered, God’s strength would always be sufficient.

Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD.

(Jer. 1:8)

Trepidation or Testimony?

The enemy is always trying to shut our mouths and silence our witness of God’s truth. And he started right away once the early church began to grow.

The backstory: God worked a miracle of healing through Peter and John. Naturally, they took this opportunity to explain such power did not come through them but rather through a man named Jesus, who was the risen Son of God (Acts 3).

This spiel didn’t exactly go over well with the day’s religious leaders. Though the leaders could not deny the miracle of healing, they devised a plan of action. The rulers strictly ordered Peter and John not to speak any more in the name of this Jesus.

Let’s pause. The powerful religious leaders, who have recently turned Jesus over for crucifixion, just ordered Peter and John not to speak in Jesus’ name. The leaders have the authority to do this. Peter and John had just received a clear and binding legal order.

But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.

For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.

(Acts 4:19-20)

The apostles recognized the order was what it was: a choice between obedience to God or obedience to man. And they had made their choice.

Peter and John were not punished that time because of their popularity, but both endured great persecutions later because of their steadfast obedience to God.

The Secret to Bold Speech

I’m guilty of it. “Yes, but those were the apostles. They lived with Jesus for three years! They saw His miracles, ate the Passover supper with Him, and witnessed His resurrection. Of course they were bold. You can’t expect that from me.”

But those were the same apostles who denied Jesus, could not understand His parables, argued about who was the greatest, and could not stay awake with Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane when He needed them most. They were human, through and through.

What made the difference?

A power that was not theirs.

We can only speak boldly—and wisely and lovingly—when the Spirit of God is speaking through us.

But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.

For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

(Matt. 10:19-20)

Jesus told His disciples that they need not worry about what they would say, for the Spirit of God would give them His words.

And Jesus extends the gift of His Spirit to us (Lk. 11:13). There is no reason that we cannot ask the Father and receive His Spirit to have the same wisdom and boldness that the disciples had.

May we come boldly before His throne to receive such a gift (Heb. 4:16) so that we can stand boldly for Christ in this earth.