If You Call Yourself 'Pro-Life,' Make Sure You Don't Just Mean 'Pro-Fetus'

If America will take the pro-life stance, politicians need to promote policies that improve the foster care system, welfare programs, and government assistance.

bmscott
bmscott
305

The contemporary politics of America have regressed to a time before the liberation that Roe v. Wade provided. Women nation-wide were liberated from the iron grasps of male politicians. They were finally rewarded their autonomy.

However, American politics is back to its old tricks; politicians are stealing a woman's autonomy. A woman's control over her own body has been seized throughout the country. States like Ohio and Alabama are banning abortion as early as six weeks. This is before most women realize they're pregnant. These so-called "heartbeat" bills perpetuate the dangerous narrative that a heartbeat automatically signifies life, thus satisfying pro-life narratives of a heartbeat that trigger high emotions.

Remember, a heartbeat does not mean life is viable.

In this situation, the vastly premature heartbeat in a zygote the size of a rice grain is not viable. A brain-dead human on life-support is not a viable case for life, but their heart continues to beat. These policies are not "saving" lives because there is no viable life.

These are the facts, this is the science.

Religion is important to many, and your faith must be respected. However, your faith has nothing to do with American politics. Your faith is a personal journey, not a way of governing a body of people. The controversial political commentator, Tomi Lahren, tweeted against the restrictive policies being passed by states like Ohio and Alabama. Paraphrasing, she argues that the Constitution outlines the right to one's own autonomy, a right being violated by legislators throughout the nation with anti-abortion laws. Her argument is sound and makes sense. What grants one person the authority to control someone else's body?

Not only has American society misinterpreted the viability of life of a zygote, but it has also misinterpreted the meaning of pro-life.

Being pro-life does not stop after birth.

Therefore, people's decisions about choosing life should not be judged by society. Too often, our society is quick to jump on the actions of other people and shame them for choosing life. The teenager that's pregnant chose life, but her actions are shunned by society. People react in horror with stories of teen pregnancy. The mom with kids from different fathers is judged for being a slut, but she chose life as well. The single mom on welfare is shamed, but she chose life.

The problem with a pro-life argument is the major lack of support for the mother's choices.

Sure, pro-life views may align with religion or morals, but support shouldn't deplete after birth. If America will take the pro-life stance, politicians need to promote policies that improve the foster care system, welfare programs, and government assistance. One cannot force women to have children that they would have otherwise aborted and not promote infrastructures to support mothers that chose life.