It's Time To Stop Taking the Small Moments in Life for Granted

Why I believe the little things in life are far more important than the big picture

56
DailyGood

In life, we tend to look at the big picture. We look at how much money we have, how many friends we have, what our grades are, what we look like, etc. Although it may seem like these are the factors that determine our lifestyle and how well we're doing, they aren't. Living isn't about these things, it's about how we experience it. It's about coming home from a long day to your excited puppy, or spontaneous road trips with your best friend and blaring the music that you both love. These are the moments in which we find ourselves the happiest, and for even a small moment, none of the bad things matter.

Although it's a popular saying to "appreciate the little things", I've noticed that many individuals, actually, do not. It's a lot easier said than done. School, work, and our social lives pretty much consume all of our thoughts and time. It's so pressured among our society to go to a good college, to get a good degree, to get a good job, and have a family. This is what is projected as "successful". Yes, if you were to look at the overall big picture, graduating from a good college and landing a good job would be very successful. However, that's not all life is about. From a very young age, many of us are taught that our solitary purpose in life is to grow up and be successful. We are put through school, only to go do more school and then eventually land a job. We are so pressured to meet this standard that we grow up thinking that's all life is about. We grow up thinking that's what defines who we are, and what our purpose is. We grow up thinking that determines our happiness. It's time to change our way of thinking.

I'm not going to disagree with the fact that staying in shape, working, going to school, and keeping in touch with your family and friends isn't important; because it is important. However, that shouldn't determine what makes you happy, or what makes you successful. You shouldn't give what school you got into or what job you have complete domination over your life, because those are only obstacles. What's really important in life, are the moments that make you the happiest. We live for the moments that make us forget about what stresses us out or makes us upset. We live for the moments that block out the sadness and darkness we may be feeling. That's what's important, because that's what living is. Living is getting to hug your family after a long time away, or getting to sit down and watch your favorite TV show after an exhausting day. These small moments are our moments of peace and happiness, and what genuinely means more than whatever gives us stress in our lives.

If you happen to find yourself a culprit of not appreciating the importance of these small, even minuscule moments of happiness, go to a concert or go rock climbing. Disregard the deadline you have next week or the promotion you didn't get at work for a little bit, and live. Soak in all the fun you have with your sister when you go to tailgates together, or the happiness and warmth you feel when your pet snuggles up next to you in bed. These moments should be what gets you through the hardships of your job, education, social life, or anything else that may lay struggles upon you. With that being said, live a little less for getting that job promotion, and a little more for that morning hike with your best friend.