The Time I Went To Europe With 29 Strangers

"Do the brave thing, and bravery will follow."

19
Abby Turnbow

Two years ago on June 15, 2014, I did the craziest thing I've ever done in my life. I got on a plane and went to Europe for 19 days with 29 strangers.

I went with an organization called People to People that invited high school students from my community to travel to Ireland, Wales, England, and France for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. On this trip, I did a lot of scary things. Prior to it, I'd never been out of the country; I'd never even left the South. The most I'd ever been away from my family was a weekend, and I'd never even been on an airplane. Not only that, but I've always been the quiet type, so taking such a long trip with people I didn't know sounded like a challenge in itself. It was crazy for me to even consider such an adventure. It was a huge risk, but—with a lot of help from my family—I was able to take it. And it turned out to be an incredible learning experience in so many ways.

Leaving my family to get on the plane was harder than I thought it would be. In the airport, I was so worried that I was going to be homesick the entire time and not get to enjoy any of it, but as soon as I set foot in Dublin, I knew I was in for something special.

Traveling to another continent for the first time feels a lot you’re in a different world. Everything from the architecture to the food to, of course, the way people talked was so completely different from everything I’ve ever known, and experiencing it was so rewarding. I got to eat something called “blood pudding,” spend a few days as a member of an Irish family, stand on the shore of Normandy, and even learn some traditional Irish songs. My world was expanded by getting to experience other cultures firsthand and making connections with people halfway across the globe. I would never have gotten to do these things if I hadn’t taken a risk. Sometimes it takes doing things that scare you to get the most out of life.

I did a lot of things I never thought I would get to do, but I also got to do some things that, prior to this trip, I never thought I could do. Like rappel down the side of a 90 ft. castle wall.

As you can probably imagine, upon seeing that tower for the first time, my only thought was “no.” I was trying to be adventurous on this trip, but this was crossing the line. And that line was sanity. I could hold back tears and get on an airplane. I could even lean over the edge of a castle to kiss the Blarney Stone. But risk my life to climb down a castle with nothing but a rope for support? No way.

But I just thought, where am I going to get the chance to do this again? So, I decided to just try. I told myself I would at least stand at the top of the tower, look out at the view, and then it would be OK to give up. But once I got up there, it was a matter of seconds before I was swept up onto the ledge, hooked up to the harness and rope, and before I even had time to say "no," I was stepping over the side of the castle wall. It was exhilarating and terrifying, and it was so, so worth it. I pushed my own limits, and it gave me a new kind of confidence. Now, whenever something seems scary, I can say, "If I can rappel down a castle wall, I can do that."

While I so enjoyed these adventures and learning about the cultures of the communities I visited, I also gained a new appreciation for where I came from. When you've lived in one place your entire life, it's easy to forget how great it is. I used to spend a lot of time wishing to get out of my hometown, thinking "real life" was only somewhere else. When I talked with people from other countries, we often compared our customs and ideas, and I found myself telling them about my city with enthusiasm I never thought I'd have. While I absolutely loved experiencing Irish communities and walking the streets of London and Paris, I also realized my hometown is a pretty great place to be, too. Both have value. But if I never took a risk and left home, I might never have totally realized that value.

I know people have taken bigger risks than these, and maybe this trip isn't that impressive. But I'm proud of it. Because I pushed my own personal boundaries and forced myself out of my comfort zone, I got to expand my understanding of the world and of myself, and I gained appreciation for the places I went and where I came from.

Maybe you don't care about going to Europe one bit and this all sounds incredibly boring. Find your own risks. Do the things you're scared to do, whether it's going to your dream school that seems too far away or taking a difficult internship or even just raising your hand in class (including myself in this one). I found that when you step out and do the thing you're afraid to do, you'll benefit from it, and you gain the confidence to keep going. It's like my favorite quote from "Once Upon A Time":