The Three Great Loves You'll Meet In Life

Every thine. Ever mine. Every ours. - Ludwig van Beethoven

263

Many have said that we get three loves in life. Three different people that we fall in love with that were put in our path for different reasons. We love each completely differently, and it is said that we have to experience each of these loves for reasons we may not understand.

Our first love often comes to us early in life, even as early as high school. It is the love that makes fairy tales seem so real. This is the love that appeals to what society believes we should be doing. We enter this love selflessly, in belief, that this will be our only love, even if it doesn't feel quite right. You make yourself work through the things that make you question it because deep down we believe this is what love is. It is a love that simply looks right to the people on the outside looking in.

The second love is supposed to be our hard love. It is the love that teaches us lessons about who we are. We learn in this love how often we want or need to be loved. This is the love that is going to hurt. We believe when we get into this love, we are making better decisions than the first, but we are really making the same choices. This love can become a cycle because we think somehow the ending will be different than the first. It is a love that is filled with drama and can be an emotional rollercoaster. This is the love that we wish, with all our heart, would work.

The third love is the one that we never see coming. It is the one that we probably think is wrong for us and that it wasn't meant to be. It will destroy any ideas of what we thought love was. It comes so easy, that it simply doesn't seem possible. This love will literally knock you off of your feet because you never planned for it to happen. There is no expectation of how the other person should act because you don't care and there is no pressure to act a certain way. It shatters our preconceived notions and shows us that love doesn’t have to be how we thought it should be in order for it to be true.

So maybe you haven't experienced all of these loves yet, and that's okay. Some people search their whole lives for these loves. Or maybe, you are like me and have already lived through them. I think that people who make it to their third loves are truly lucky. They are lucky enough to have experienced something that they know will never be able to be fulfilled by another. When you find your third love, cherish that person because they are truly your other half. I was lucky enough to have met that person early in my life. Although I am no longer with that love, I know no one will be able to love me the same way again and I to another person. But, if you find yourself in my position and you found that third love, but aren't with them, it's okay. You aren't a terrible person. You were just lucky enough to experience something most only dream of.