Thoughts I Had While Writing My Novel

*Dramatic Movie Music* It's finally here. The article you've been waiting for....

Anyway, I've been working on my novel for independent study, and thankfully, I've been making progress, even with the COVID madness and a jumping mad new kitten. Still, even though I pretty much know these characters from the back of my hand, rereading still surprises me sometimes.

1. Wow, my character talks a lot about X

It could be anything, really. One of my characters talks about hands a lot, particularly another main characters (No, I'm not a harlequin author, I suck in that department... Even if it would apparently make good money), and I'd only noticed that after reading that. I'd also noticed that any breaks from reality are indicated by ellipses, and another character is only pretending to be naive.

2. Wow... That came out of my head

I do end up waxing poetic a lot in this, although it's not exactly a cheesy romantic novel, but sometimes I blow my own mind with how tender my two main characters are with one another, even though they're simultaneously in conflict with one another.

3. COOPERATE!

My novel has two different narrators, and one of them is just a pain to work with. You'd think a character who writes himself is easy to write, but it's the opposite with this dude. Don't get me wrong, he's great, but he's the Dustin Hoffman of my characters, cooperation-wise (Though, all jokes aside, I could never see Hoffman playing him. Even young Hoffman.) What makes it worse is that half of the chapters are his POV... And taking either narrator would ruin the point of the book.

4. Worldbuilding is hard...

Being that I started out with fanfics, worldbuilding was at the back of my mind because there was already a world to work with. Even when I went original with this, I've been told that setting isn't exactly my strong suit. It's fine... All writers have a weakness, but, here, the setting is somewhat important to the plot. Oh well... Back to the drawing board.

5. I hope the ending is okay...

I don't mean too abrupt, or whatever. I finally have somewhat of an idea for an ending that makes sense, but is the shift in emotion itself too abrupt? Is it enough? Does it not tie everything up... I'm going for a book with a prequel, not a sequel? Well? I don't know... You can't please everyone, right?

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web