Thank You High Point University For Your Appreciation Of Diversity

And for starting off Black History Month like a wuss.

547
High Point University News &media

As Black History Month begins, along with another month of classwork and all that comes with being a student at High Point University, I find myself compelled to give my wonderful university a few shout outs as we begin February, the shortest month of the year. I feel the only way to truly express my unadulterated gratitude is to let everyone know just how I feel...let's get started!

Thank you so much...for reducing the proud history of my culture to a little blurb of informational text that you so graciously include in your daily updates to students each afternoon. I'm sure that the tacky background, titles such as "We Didn't Know That Wednesday" and "Throwback Thursday", and sugarcoating the experiences of these honorable figures is the perfect way to start off the month!

Thank you...for finally looking for a Director of Multicultural Affairs after existing as an institution of education since 1924, a position which practically every other university already has. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the potential backlash after having one of the most controversial, offensive, unprepared, uneducated, and unpopular President's of all time a platform to speak on campus only a month before posting the open position. But you handled that by sending out such an eloquent and lackluster letter to the student body that solved nothing and addressed none of the legitimate concerns of your student body!

Thank you...for dedicating an entire page of your website to the supposed diversity that is on your campus. It just makes me so happy to know that there are a whole three paragraphs on your initial page titled "Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion", ignoring the fact that your page for the Office of the President has way more facts than this one does. And to put the icing on your pretty purple cake, you include an entire link to a page on Intercultural Engagement on campus. Oh boy! A page, by the way, which starts off with how you "are Christian by tradition and interfaith in vision." Full disclosure, I have no idea what this statement means, and I really don't think you do either.

Thank you...for being ranked #1925 in ethnic diversity nationwide. I bet that being below the national average on this factor is just another way you're extraordinary!

Thank you...for doing absolutely nothing, not a single solitary thing, on Holocaust Remembrance Day. This particular slight made me want to march right up to whoever was responsible and plaster a lovely gold star right on their forehead with a smile on my face. That day, (Friday, January 27, 2017) you let pass by just like any other day.

However, you seemed to have to issue celebrating Chinese New Year, which actually began on January 28 this year, an entire day early. But I'm sure this was just an accident; a university that prides itself on diverse and holistic learning would never do that!

Thank you...from the bottom of my proud, African-American heart. I hope you continue to make just as many amazing strides for Black History Month as you have so far.

I'm so proud of you.