My First Thoughts On Khalid's American Teen

AHHHHHHHHHHH, that's all, just kidding, no it's not.

52
American Teen Cover

Can I just say I will forever be grateful for the artists in my generation. The work people my age have been creating this year alone has blown my mind. It makes me want to continue making art and working hard, I truly am blessed with constant inspiration from people my own age.

Khalid, 19, joins the ranks of incredibly talented artists with his debut album American Teen. Please listen to this immediately. If you're feeling extra fancy, please listen to this while you're reading this article. This album is a breath of fresh air for me during a time of heavy, but equally amazing, releases from Kendrick Lamar and Logic.

If you're a fan of Imagine Dragons or Bastille, I think the melodies and harmonies in American Teen (specifically "Young Dumb & Broke","Cold Blooded", and "Winter") will strike a cord for you. Khalid's voice is incredible and unexpected on the R&B scene.

"Location", released last July, was only the tip of the iceberg for this young artist. It was the perfect track to introduce listeners to some of the main themes of American Teen and presumably, Khalid's future work. Young love, the complexities of growing up, and how both of those things impact our increasingly technology-filled lives.

I could rave about the intricacy of the melodies and the nostalgia interlaced in the lyrics for days. They slip into your head and live there for a couple of hours, you'll find yourself humming and singing the choruses long after you finish listening to them.

I am so excited to see what Khalid does after this. Like Lorde, we get the joy of growing up with him and watching him progress as an artist and as a person. He's making music for our generation specifically and I am LIVING FOR IT.

I adore every song on this album, but my favorites by far have to be "Winter", "Cold Blooded", "Angels", and "Young Dumb & Broke".

Make to sure to add this INCREDIBLE album to your monthly playlist!