19 Thoughts from the Heart of an Old Soul

"Poetry, beauty, romance, love: these are what we stay alive for."

540

Anyone who's ever been called an "old soul" knows what it's like to feel out of place. In a world shaking with newer technology, louder music, and bigger parties, it's nearly impossible to find a person who actually appreciates peace and quiet, and would prefer to read a book than scroll through a news feed. Being an old soul myself, I know what it's like to go through each day feeling completely satisfied with my simple life surrounded by a world craving newer, better, and more. To explain, here are just a few thoughts I think most old souls would agree ring true. Because truthfully, straight-laced, old-fashioned buzzkills like these are actually pretty awesome people.

1. We are deep thinkers.

...and we don't really ever stop thinking, either.

2. We find joy in simple pleasures.

The smell of old books, the piping steam off a hot cup of tea, picking wildflowers from the side of the road, baking cookies "just because." These things fill us with joy.

3. We love basically everything with our entire hearts.

That homeless person that sits at the corner of the block every Sunday morning - most people ignore him, but we feel for him, on a deep level. We're more empathetic than sympathetic.

4. We're approachable to fault.

Old souls, kind of, in a way, attract people. And not just any people, but people that need an ear to listen or a hand to hold. We want to help people with their problems, even if it's just talking something through.

5. We feel like we were born in the wrong time period.

There's nothing blatantly wrong with living in the twenty-first century, but somehow, we just don't seem to "fit in."

6. We tend to be more mature than our peers.

I can't count the number of times I've been called "mom" or "grandma" by my friends...

7. We need our alone time.

Don't question this. We know the difference between being alone and being lonely.

8. We are swept away by the classics.

Literature, theatre, quality music - you get the point.

9. Because of this, we think song lyrics should actually mean something.

I don't know about you, but I prefer Frank Sinatra's love ballads over Lil Uzi Vert any day.

10. We have an overwhelming need to give advice and encouragement.

And we feel weird when people can't accept it, because we're just trying to help.

11. We always want to be taken seriously.

Please stop treating me like the rest of the animals that just so happen to be my age.

12. Nine times out of ten, we would rather stay in than go out.

Yes, I do mean to tell you, I would rather snug in and study than go out and get wasted at that party.

13. We appreciate the charms of the past.

(And have a special taste for all things vintage...hint hint.)

14. We take the time to appreciate and embrace beauty.

Far too often, people don't take time to stop and smell the roses. But beauty is literally everywhere. Whether it be the elderly couple walking hand in hand, or the kids on the playground who are filled to the brim with bursts of laughter, we can't help but admire.

15. We yearn for love, and not just any ordinary love.

True, persevering, undying love. We crave deep connections.

16. We seek to know people to their core - not just what's visible at the surface.

I'd rather focus on the quality of your heart than the brand name on your sweatshirt.

17. We love snail mail.

There's just something so magical about tearing open a letter that someone took the time and effort to write you. Cell phones simply do not compare.

18. Our most important values include wisdom, knowledge, love, and truth.

They pretty much dictate how we live every day.

19. We've always been ready to "grow up."

Self-explanatory.

"Medicine, law, business, engineering: these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But beauty, poetry, romance, love: these are what we stay alive for." -Robin Williams, 'Dead Poets Society'