I Reread 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' And My Life Is More Complete Than Before

"Dumbledore's man through and through." Why yes, I am.

523
Berkeley Fisher

This year I've slowly been rereading the Harry Potter series. And I just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Once my favorite HP book, I loved delving back into their 6th-year shenanigans. Here are some of my favorite scenes:

*may contain spoilers for multiple Harry Potter books*

1. Dumbledore tells the Dursleys off about how they have treated Harry

When Dumbledore comes to pick Harry up from the Dursleys' house, he sits the family down and tells them off. Being his sassy self, Dumbledore finds a way to put the Dursleys in their place without ever being explicitly rude. You go Dumbledore!

2. Snape is a bad guy

While I was reading chapter two this go around, I was in awe of how Rowling crafted this scene. Of course, I knew what was to happen, but this scene is incredible in crafting Snape's guilt.

I so badly wish that I could read Harry Potter for the first time again and feel the betrayal that is laced within this scene.

3. Harry at the Burrow

Seeing Harry at the Burrow makes my heart so happy. I love seeing the trio getting to be kids together, without any other care in the world (minus Voldemort looming).

Also, I love how Ginny is in the mix, and the beginnings of Harry's affections unknowingly start here. Additionally, I love seeing Mrs. Weasley, Hermione, and Ginny all grumble over Fleur. It's such a wonderfully funny bonding moment.

4. Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes

I LOVE FRED AND GEORGE. And what do I love even more? I love seeing them succeed. I think that their success is a great portrayal of making what you love to do your job... and they are really good at it.

Even Hermione has to complement their daydream charm, "You know... that really is extraordinary magic."

5. Draco Malfoy

So this book could alternatively be named Harry Potter and Harry's Obsession with Draco Malfoy because I feel like Harry's focus on Draco is a little overboard. It may be right, but it was a little repetitive.

However, as much as I think Draco Malfoy is a bully, as the book ends, I can't help feeling bad for him. He isn't a killer, and he never signed up to kill Dumbledore.

However, you can't disobey the Dark Lord, now can you? I think this book shows a weak side to Draco that I appreciate, even if he did try to use an Unforgivable Curse on Harry.

6.Tom Riddle's backstory

Learning about Lord Voldemort is my favorite part of this novel. I think it is fascinating to learn about why Voldemort is who he is and what steps led to the creature that he is today.

Each memory opened my eyes to just how complex of a villain he is. Also, can I just compliment JK Rowling once again at her creation of Horcruxes... because they add another element of mystery that is horrifying.

7. The beginnings of Romione

I've always been a fan of Ron and Hermione. I think their romantic tension builds in all the books, but it definitely reaches its peak in this novel. For instance, Rowling has told us that in the Amortentia potion, the third smell Hermione smells is Ron' hair (aww).

Between Hermione's jealousy of Ron and Lavender to Ron muttering Hermione's name while still unconscious, the little things really add up.

I live for the interactions between these two. (Also, I wonder if they're this apparent when reading the book for the first time...)

8. Harry liking Ginny

Finally! While there were shadows of clues in Order of the Phoenix, Harry's crush on Ginny comes to fruition in this book. I love the internal battle Harry has, contemplating his feelings against the fact that Ginny is Ron's sister.

After growing with these characters for five years, I think the growth of their romantic feelings is so rewarding.

9. Fake Felix Felicis

AKA, Harry Potter wins the best friend award. Harry knows that all Ron needs is a little confidence, so he convinces both Ron and Hermione that he put some Felix Felicis in Ron's drink. That simple gesture had exactly the placebo effect Harry desired. Weasley is our King!

10. "Dumbledore's man through and through"

When Scrimgeour asks Harry to join Ministry forces and divulge information on Dumbledore, he refuses, and Scrimgeour accuses Harry of being Dumbledore's man through and through, to which Harry agrees. When Harry tells Dumbledore of this occurrence, the old wizard has a tear in his eye and the love Dumbledore has for Harry is so apparent and touching.

11. Luna Lovegood: commentator extraordinaire

This small scene where Luna commentates for a Quidditch match is just a funny little part of the book that gets overlooked. Luna totally embraces who she is, and it is refreshing. Like Ron said, she grows on you.

12. Harry and Ginny get together

Harry and Ginny finally kiss after Gryffindor beats Ravenclaw with Ginny filling in as Seeker for Harry. Fireworks! I loved this scene.

However, I will admit, I am a little disappointed at how easily it all happened. There was no interference from Ron, which I was surprised by, even if Harry is his best mate.

13. Professor Trelawney

When Harry runs into Trelawney getting kicked out of the Room of Requirement on his way to Dumbledore's office, Harry is the sass master. I love this scene simply because Harry calls Trelawney out for not seeing that she would've been thrown out.

14. Obtaining the Horcrux ("I am with you")

This scene is one of the scariest in the book. When Dumbledore has to drink that potion and relives his worst memories it is terribly sad. Knowing what happens in Deathly Hallows makes it even worse.

However, they finish the mission, and when Harry heaves Dumbledore to Apparate out of the cave, Dumbledore's words: "I am not worried, Harry, I am with you," get me every single time.

15. Dumbledore's death

I knew this was coming, but it still hurts. Knowing that Snape has to keep his Unbreakable Vow and that he confided this to Dumbledore, so he knows what is coming kind of helps, but not really. Dumbledore's death rattled the whole castle, the whole wizarding community.

16. The Half-Blood Prince

Snape is the Half-Blood Prince, and its reveal is poorly placed. Dumbledore is dead... I couldn't care less who the Half-Blood Prince is at this point.

17. Fawkes's song

When everyone stops talking in the hospital wing to hear Fawke's song, I get chills. I just imagine being in the moment, and I can't help but feel every sorrow that the characters feel. Poor Fawkes is all alone. His master is gone, and now what is he going to do?

18. All the love

Even after Bill's face is permanently deformed, Fleur still has every intention of marrying him. Then, Tonks expresses her love for Lupin, who is still hesitant, wanting to protect her.

However, as McGonagall exclaims, "Dumbledore would have been happier than anybody to think that there was a little more love in the world."

19. Luna and Neville appreciation

Besides Ginny, Luna and Neville were the only DA members that came to help fight the Death Eaters. They prove their loyalty again, and they never seem to get the credit they deserve. Neville and Luna are two of my favorite HP characters, and I just appreciate them so much.

These scenes honestly makes me want to read the book again. This book is just another example of how incredible JK Rowling is. I hope that this gives you the urge to reread the series, too. You won't regret it.