To Those Not Graduating On Time

To Those Not Graduating On Time

Keep achieving your dreams not matter how long it takes.
11

Everyone says that college is the best four years of your life. You learn valuable lessons on how to become an adult and have some fun while doing so, but for some, college isn't that simple. I started college in the fall of 2014 with my twin sister and we ended up at the same university together. We were excited to start this journey together and finish in four years, but I learned that some (like myself) learn in different ways. This is perfectly normal. You should know that your mental health and well being should come first or it'll hinder the easiest of tasks. The things that have made roadblocks do not stop me. Ever.

As I sit here and write this, I have completed my third year of college and am off to my fourth. Next May, my sister will graduate and in 2019, I will also walk across the stage. As I've realized I am going to take a fifth year of school, I've started to understand that it is okay. As long as I finish the journey I started, I will be proud of myself. I have accomplished so much so far and there is no need for a timeline. No gets to put a timeline on my education, which, in turn, means I need to follow my heart and mind and keep going strong. I am learning to accept the things I cannot change, in hopes for my dreams to come true. Patience is key to moving forward. As I complete another semester in the fall, ending my junior year, I realize that it is one step closer to becoming a teacher.

To those not graduating on time: no matter what happened to prolong your graduation, it is okay. You will make it. Your dream is still out there for you to achieve it. It's not going anywhere. Just keep moving forward. It might seem like a million years away, but it'll be here before you know it. Just remember that you are doing this because you want to. You do your thing before worrying about what others think. The long nights and tough days will all be worth it. You should be proud of the work you have put into this. Don't ever give up on finding your passion and achieving it, because you are so close to that dream.

While I have two years to go, I know that the work I am putting in is my very best. I will one day get there and it'll be the proudest moment for myself. With my final words, I leave this advice to you: don't compare your journey to someone else's. Your journey is unique to you, so enjoy the ride. No one ever said that you need to be perfect. Having a few hiccups is not a big deal; it's a part of life that we need to accept. But, whatever the journey lies for you, I hope it takes you great places and even better memories.