This Was The Most Latino Oscars Ever, But Its Not Enough
popular

Representation Matters!

864
Google

This year’s Oscars put Latinos talent front and center. But just like the past five years, not one Latino actor was even nominated for an award (it hasn’t happened ever since Demian Bichir’s nomination in 2012). It is important to note that Latino actors and directors remain the most underrepresented group in the Oscars 90-year history. However, the 90th edition of the Academy Awards truly felt like a celebration of Latino's.

There was nothing close to the envelope mix-up last year, but here are the Best Latino moments from that night.

Coco Takes Home Two Oscars

Many of us have been obsessed with Coco since its release. We praise its authenticity and its story centered on family. This is why we were immense with joy when it was recognized as the year’s Best Animated Feature. In this speech, director Lee Unkrich gave thanks and pointed out why the film is so important: “Biggest thank you of all, to the people of Mexico. Coco would not exist without your endlessly beautiful culture and traditions. With Coco, we tried to take a step forward toward a world where all children can grow up seeing characters in movies that look and talk land live like they do. Marginalized people deserve to feel like they belong. Representation matters!” It brings us happiness to know that our culture is being appreciated and we too can feel like we belong too. Let’s not forget that the Coco team took another Oscar for Best Original Song for its hit “Remember Me”, a song that brings you back to your roots and makes you remember every special moment you have spent with your family.

“Remember Me” Comes To Life

The performance starts out with a soulful Gael García Bernal, who plays Hector in the film, singing the tear-inducing song accompanied by a recognizable white guitar. Then the stage opens up, and we see a stage that resembles Ernesto de la Cruz stage. Natalia Lafourcade and Miguel sing a bilingual version of the song. There are folkloric dances and neon skull decorations. The movie came to life and we couldn’t help but tear up remembering Miguel and Mamá Coco at the end of the film.

Latino America Takes Best Foreign Film

To the surprise of many, Chile took the Oscar for Best Foreign Film with its production of “A Fantastic Women.” The film is about a transgender singer who faces scorn and discrimination after the sudden death of her older boyfriend. It brings to light the issues many transgender women face. Daniela Vega, a transgender Chilean actress, who plays the lead role gave a face and voice to the plight of a largely invisible and stigmatized community.

Representation Matters!

Danila Vega, who stars in the film “A Fantastic Woman,” became the first openly transgender woman to present an award at the ceremony. A Latina is the first and it shows that there should be more representation of LGBT actors and actresses at the Oscars.

Shout out to Dreamers!

Lupita Nyong’o and Kumail Nanjiani expressed their support to Dreamers while presenting. Nyong’o said, “Like everyone in this room and everyone watching at home, we are dreamers.” Nanjiani ended with, “To all the Dreamers out there, we stand with you.” More and more artists are bringing up important issues such as DACA to spread awareness and it lets Dreamers know that their voices will be heard.

The Shape of Water Takes Fours Oscars

Guillermo del Toro’s film “The Shape of Water” took home Best Production Design, Best Original Score, Best Director, and Best Picture. Del Toro sent a message of support and encouragement to immigrants while delivering a powerful acceptance speech, he said “I am an immigrant. in the last 25 years, I’ve been living in a country all of our own. I think the best thing that our art does and our industry does is to erase the lines in the sand. We should continue doing that when the world tells us to make it deeper. Guillermo Del Toro is the 3rd Mexican to take the Oscar for Best Director in the past five years.

The 90th Academy Awards did have a handful of Latinos winning awards, presenting, and performing. Don’t let this fool you, we still need more Latina/o representation at the Oscars, in Hollywood, and in the film industry overall. As Oscar Isaac said it “Viva Latinoamérica!”