Commencement ceremonies for university and college graduations occurred during April and May this year. I graduated with my bachelor's of science from Eastern Michigan University this April. I know that I thought of all of these things during the course of my commencement ceremony; I am sure you did too.
1. Should I walk at commencement?
It's so expensive to buy the robe and tickets. Do I even want to go wait for two hours to hear them mispronounce my name?
2. Of course I am walking!
This is a once in a lifetime experience! What was a thinking? My mom would be so mad.
3. Where can I find information on commencement?
Are they going to email me? Should I look it up online? Will they call? When will I know? Mom keeps asking for the date and time.
4. I only get SIX tickets?!
My mom is going to be so mad! We can only invite a few people now. Who in my family is going to be pissed at her now?
5. I wonder if I have enough in the bank to buy this robe.
Graduation robes are expensive! EMU's undergraduate robes cost $49.95! It would take me over five hours to make that much money at work!
8. (Day of) I hope I don't trip in my heels!
It would be so embarrassing to do that in front of all of my peers!
9. (Day of) Where is my family? I can't find them in this crowd!
10. (Day of) How much did they pay this guy to talk to us?
EMU is in debt and yet we hire a CEO to speak to our graduating class. I am glad it is someone kind of important; I am hoping he isn't boring!
11. (Day of) *crossing fingers* Please pronounce my name correctly.
I wrote the phonetic spelling down for you. I have the easiest last name in the world. You have said my first name correctly like five times now.
13. These heels were a bad idea!
I have such a far distance I have too walk!
14. (Day of) He said my name wrong!
I GAVE HIM THE PHONETIC SPELLING! HOW COULD HE GET IT WRONG?
15. Well that was a long ceremony for doing things for two minutes.
I'm exhausted and bored. Don't get me wrong... I am proud of myself but I have been here for three hours and woke up at 6 AM! When will this thing end?
While it may not seem like it, I was proud to attend my commencement ceremony; however, I was even more excited to eat Italian food and take off my heels afterward.