Things You Learn Freshman Year of College, As Told by My Friends

Try new things, be brave, be kind, and always remember that you are more important than what anyone thinks

62

As we are now halfway through the month of April and exam season is about to begin, the year seems to be flying by. Everyone is moving on at different speeds; some people are graduating from high school and picking which college they'll spend their next four years at, while some of us are just completing our first year of college, and so on. So, as a way to help out the incoming class, I figured I would ask some of my closest friends about their college experience thus far and see if they had anything to share for the next incoming class.

Here's what they had to say:

1. "Do all of your assigned homework. Do homework even if you aren't assigned it." - Julie Hutchinson, Temple University (An absolutely amazing roommate, makes a wonderful cup of tea and goes out of her way to help anyone she comes across. She wakes up some days just because I need her to tell me what shoes to wear. I adore her.)

2. "I had a horrible high school experience and I looked at college as a way out. I really like being here and being responsible for myself. I guess I wish someone told me college wasn't going to be a "party" because although you have all of this independence and a lot of great things happening in the city, you have to budget your time appropriately and you don't always have enough money to do everything you want, or live a certain way, or eat certain foods. So it's not, like, a free for all. But I also believe that you should do things outside of your comfort zone and try things you wouldn't normally try. If you don't like it, then you know not to do it again. But I know that I feel like a different person since being in college. I consider myself more responsible and aware of my surroundings and more personable and open to new things. Even though a few crappy things have happened this year, they've helped me grow, and I'm pretty happy with where I am." -Abigayle Stoetzer, Temple University (An incredible best friend, will listen to you when you need to vent or get coffee with you when you're having a rough day.)

3. "I disagree with Abby. I think that if you don't want to do college things, you shouldn't do them. Like, I went to a football game because everyone was going, but I knew that I wouldn't like it because I hate football. I agree that you should take advantage of opportunities and go outside of your comfort zone, but I also think you shouldn't force yourself to do things that aren't fun for you. College is more fun when you have your clubs and activities that you love. But college is different for everyone and you should just go in and be ready for anything. I don't know any two people who have had the same experience." -Nathalie Bessette, Temple University (Feminist fitness goddess extraordinaire. Hilarious and thoughtful; she give really great advice and makes me be healthy from time to time. An amazing best friend and dog mother.)

4. "I think I learned to really appreciate people who are there all the time. Like, going to college made me appreciate my family and you a million times more. And also, it's okay to go to school far away. You won't lose your friends. Like, my friend group from high school goes out all the time, and I can never go with them because I'm kind of far away, but they still talk to me like I'm part of the group." -Michelle Noblitt, Mount Saint Mary's University (One of the greatest people on the entire planet; beautiful, smart, tough, and fiercely loyal. Most likely to become Elle Woods.)

5. "You don't have to be around people all the time, so don't be afraid to go places by yourself. You never know who you might run into. But don't be afraid to go out and ask people to hang out, because everyone is in the same boat and everyone wants to make friends." -Becca Gleeson, Villanova University (My best friend since I was actually an infant. Very intelligent, very loving, and really great at surprise birthday presents, which says a lot about a person, in my opinion.)

6. "It's always a good idea to be on good terms with your professor. Ask them if you need help or something. I got the requirements for a paper changed because I went to my professor about it. Also, don't cling to one person right away. If you don't like someone, move on. That's how I got out of being a third wheel one night and made one of my best friends at school." -Eileen Black, La Salle University (Beautiful and intelligent makeup goddess. Hilarious, always laughs at my dad jokes.)

7. "Talk to your professors. And don't worry about making friends in the beginning, because it's new for everyone. Like, if you don't know anyone in the first couple of days, don't worry because it's new for everyone. And everyone is looking to make new friends because deep down everyone is a little scared. For a lot of people, they've never been so far away from home and they're excited to share all these new experiences with people." -Finbar Byrne, Widener University (Always willing to make his friends laugh; very kind and always thinking about others.)

8. "You're never too cool to call your parents. Impressing your friends with acting like you're not homesick is not worth it because everyone is. Don't make yourself miserable and just pick up the phone because they miss you, too. Also, you don't have to party every weekend. If you want to, go ahead. However, for the sake of your mental health (and liver), it's okay to sit out a Friday night and trade the vodka for netflix, fam. I guess for mine, the theme is 'don't try and impress your friends, leave that for high school.'" -Madeleine Cioppi, Temple University (Hilarious and extremely talented human being. One of my best friends at school. Always willing to take a walk around campus and listen when you need to rant about anything.) ("Can you add @caddymoppy lmfao")

All I have to say is this: Try new things, be brave, be kind, and always remember that you are more important than what anyone thinks, or any grade. College isn't like high school. You can retake a class, and it's not a big deal. You can withdraw from a class, and it's not a big deal. You'll be okay. No class is worth not taking care of yourself for, because, as my mom said to me a couple weeks ago, "You have this class and this professor for one semester. You have yourself for your whole life."

I wish all the underclassmen luck in their college-picking experience, and I hope you all end up somewhere that makes you happy and doing something that makes you feel fulfilled.