5 Things You Need To Know Before Watching Adam Sandler's 'Hubie Halloween' On Netflix

It encompasses some of the best traits of Adam Sander's most iconic movies.

184
Adam Sandler in Hubie Halloween

"Hubie Halloween" was released on October 7, 2020 on Netflix, and it satisfied the nostalgic feeling I get during the Halloween season.

I have been a fan of Adam Sandler's for as long as I can remember. My mom, my sisters, and I have all adored the vast majority of his films since I was little. Whether it's a family comedy like "Grown Ups" or something more risque like "Don't Mess With the Zohan," Adam Sandler never fails to make me laugh.

Without giving any spoilers, here's what you need to know before you watch "Hubie Halloween."

1. Adam Sandler has a top tier cast list.

If you've seen more than one of Adam Sandler's films, you've probably noticed that he tends to cast the same group of people in his movies. Some may find this annoying, but I think he has a solid reason. That cast works well together, and consistently produces laughs. Some of my personal favorites are Chris Rock, Kevin James, David Spade, and Rob Schneider. "Hubie Halloween" is stacked full of talented and hilarious actors and actresses, most of who have appeared in other Adam Sandler projects. Sandler also managed to add some new members to his cast list. Some notable people are Noah Schnapp, who plays Will on "Stranger Things," Karan Barr, and Paris Berelc.

Sadly, one of my absolute favorite members of what I like to call "Adam Sandler's Bro Squad," David Spade, was not cast in this movie. In spite of this minor let down, the rest of the cast play well off of each other throughout the film. Adam Sandler, per usual, plays the protagonist - Hubie. Like many of his other films, he has some of the funniest lines. My favorite part of this cast was seeing a guest appearance of Ben Stiller. Stiller reprised his role from the classic movie "Happy Gilmore," which only adds to the greatness of this film.

2. "Hubie Halloween" was dedicated to Cameron Boyce.

"Hubie Halloween" is not a sad movie, but the end card will make you shed a few tears. Cameron Boyce passed away a little over a year ago. Personally, it was the first time that someone that I'd watch and was a fan of growing up died. He was such a selfless and good-natured individual.

Adam Sandler and Cameron Boyce had worked together in his movies "Grown Ups" and "Grown Ups Too." Cameron Boyce played Sandler's middle son, Keith. Sadly, Cameron Boyce passed away just a few days before he was supposed to start shooting "Hubie Halloween."

The end card of "Hubie Halloween" dedicates the movie to Cameron Boyce. It was touching to see that, especially after I found out he was supposed to play Deli Mike Mundi. Instead, Cameron Boyce's former castmate on "Jesse" and best friend, Karan Barr, played the character. It was another touching thing to see.

3. It's Meta.

When people think of Adam Sandler movies, they usually bring up classics like "50 First Dates" and "Just Go With It." It's become a running joke on the internet that Adam Sandler plays characters that always ends up with an insanely attractive woman, especially in his romantic comedies.

I found it interesting that, unlike some of his previous projects, "Hubie Halloween" was self-aware. The female love interest had very little character development and seemed to be head over heels for Hubie from the start. As I was watching, I couldn't help but think that Sandler did this on purpose, to add another element of comedy to the movie and to poke fun at himself.

Whether or not that was Adam Sandler's intention, seeing that play out on the screen made the movie that much more enjoyable to watch.

4. You'll miss trick or treating afterwards.

The majority of Halloween-themed or inspired movies tend to be relatively old. There are few that I can recall actually enjoying, that weren't horror movies, in the past couple of years. "Hubie Halloween" was refreshing. Watching it made me nostalgic about being a kid during Halloween. It has a great soundtrack, that adds to the light-heartedness of the movie. It gives off "Halloweentown" vibes, in that everyone can watch it. It's not overly scary, so it's something that you can watch during the spooky season that won't give you nightmares.

5. "Hubie Halloween" is corny.

Corny movies don't always have to be flops. For me, the cheesy lines in "Hubie Halloween" fit. It's a Halloween movie. I feel like corny lines and Halloween films go hand in hand. Of course, you get a happily ever after. Some people thought that this made the movie fall flat. I disagree. The corniness of "Hubie Halloween" adds to its charm.