10 Things I Learned In 2018
New Year

10 Things I Learned This Year That Can Grow Us All Next Year

They have all made me a better person.

46

This year was one of the most interesting years I have ever experienced. I thought no year could ever get as bad as that one year in grade school, and I thought no year could ever get as good as my senior year of high school. Let alone, did I think that my yer could be both the worst and best year of my life that I have had so far. In that time, I've grown immensely. The lessons I've learned have not only taught me valuable life lessons, but things about myself.

Here are the 10 things this year taught me, that I believe others can learn from as well.

1. Heartbreak sucks

One of the earliest lessons I learned this year was what it feels like to go through a breakup. The end of my first relationship was anything but pleasant. But, it taught me that even through one of the worst feelings you can possibly feel, you can still try to see the good in life, your friends, and even the person who made you feel that way. Life is about forgiveness of others, and forgiveness of yourself.

2. Sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut

There come times in your life that you will want to tell everyone about something, tell a story, or fight back. And some of those times, you have to bite your tongue. Times I didn't do this, I ended up ruining friendships, and then struggling to build them back to what they once were. You should value your friends more than you value being right or wrong. Sometimes people don't want things being said, and it is not in your discretion to say those things.

3. Don't waste your time with boys

This is typical right? I'm sure this is on any advice list about college. But it is there because it is true. Date, talk to guys, flirt around, hook up. Do whatever. But don't stress over wondering if you two are "exclusive" or not. This is college, you've got so much time to figure all those things out. And I can assure you, you've got much better things to do. If only I followed this advice a little closer sometimes.

4. Things just don't work out

Things never go how you have them planned. I had some grand plan of how my summer was going to look, how this semester would look. And when everything came crashing down, I was a hot mess for a while. Go with the flow. If things that you had planned don't end up working out, make new plans. Don't stress over the things you can't control. It is not worth it.

5. Write down your tasks, goals, and things to do

This kind of contradicts the lesson above. However, it is OK to have plans, goals, and things to do. At some points of this year, that was all that got me through the day. Getting to certain parts of the year such as moving back to college, can be things you look forward to that get you through the bad parts because you know something good is coming.

6. Let time heal

I tried to rush certain parts of the year. I didn't want to feel lonely, upset, hurt, or frustrated. I tried to rush through the year by going to bed earlier and then laying in bed until noon. I tried to work as much as I could to just not have to do anything else. I didn't want to feel essentially. I didn't want to go through all the terrible emotions I was feeling, but over time I learned this was the best way to get through all of it. Time, and more time. There won't be a day where you wake up and say, "oh, I'm better!" It'll be gradual, and while you heal let the time you have be spent with family, friends, and the people who support and love you.

7. Don't forget your family

I do this all the time. We sit and say, "I have no one to talk to." But, it seems we always forget that our family is always going to be there for us no matter what. I always forget that, and I am always afraid to talk to my family about anything. But we can't forget them, especially when you need them most.

8. Take so many risks

In the infamous words of Shai LaBouf, "Just do it." We are so young right now, and I want to live my life with no regrets, and with no what-ifs. I want to make sure that I tried every opportunity handed to me, and I went for the things I didn't even think I could achieve. Send that text message, apply for that job, and go out two nights in a row just because you can. Just live life, and don't look back at what you should have done. It takes up too much time.

9. Enjoy the little things

Life can suck sometimes, but even when life sucks the most, there is good everywhere. You just have to find it. Force yourself to go out with friends, go get ice cream, go to the gym. Just enjoy life when you can. It will make all the hard stuff seem not so bad when you have people by your side to help you through it.

10. Rediscover yourself through God

Notice I said "through" not "with." I think the biggest thing is discovering yourself again. We are human, and we change so much all the time. Trusting God and finding Him, is the only way to truly find yourself. I'm not a perfect person or christian, but I do the best and feel the best when I let God in my life. Even when I don't really want to or feel up to it.