Things That I Would Rather Be Called Than Pretty

Beauty is so much more than a pretty face.

48
Quartz

Nowadays, it seems that body-image and self-esteem are tied to people wanting to be "attractive." The problem is that societal views of what attractive consists of is greatly skewed. This leads people of all ages to believe that women are supposed to be skinny enough for their hipbones and "thigh gaps" to show whereas men are told they are only attractive if they have an "8-pack" of abs and muscles the size of someone's head. Little do some people realize, looks are literally just that . . . looks. Instead of telling people they have to look a certain way, maybe we should focus more on the quality of people. When it comes down to it, looks fade . . . but personality usually doesn't. I struggled for many years with what I was supposed to look like do to the magazines I saw and celebrities on TV with "perfect" bodies, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It is time for people; men and women, boys and girls; to be valued for more than what they look like. Here is a list of things I, and I'm sure others, would rather be called than "hot," "pretty," or "sexy."

1. Intelligent

You know . . . beauty without intelligence is just a masterpiece painted on a napkin.

2. Empathetic

"We have to feel for one another if we're going to survive with dignity." -Aubrey Hepburn

3. Respected

"Once you figure out what respect tastes like, it tastes better than attention." -Pink

4.Compassionate

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." -Dalai Lama

5. Interesting

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, your children, or to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." -Diane Vreeland

6. Funny

"Make your weird light shine bright so the other weirdos know where to find you."

7. Affectionate

"She was a little all over the place, that was for sure. But the good news is that when she loved, she loved big. And if she loved you, you knew that she loved you. You never had to wonder." -Cleo

8. Creative

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." -Picasso

9. Strong

" [Someone] who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet." -Mohadesa Najumi

10. Brave

"The thing about being brave is it doesn't come with the absence of fear and hurt. Bravery is the ability to look fear and hurt in the face and say 'move aside, you are in the way'." -Melissa Tumino

11. Helpful

"Sometimes you gotta remember, everyone was not raised like you."

12. Emotional

"Never apologize for being sensitive or emotional. Let this be a sign that you've got a big heart and aren't afraid to let others see it. Showing your emotions is a sign of strength." -Brigitte Nicole

13. Kind

"So many aspire to reach a level of beauty shown in a movie or magazine, yet kindness costs nothing and is the purest form of beauty humans can ever be." - Brett Harbach

14. Determined

"Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would be doing it. The hard is what makes it great." -League of Their Own

15. Worthy

"You are valuable because you EXIST not because of what you do or what you have done, but simply because you ARE." -Max Lucado

You know, what truly matters is that people think these things about themselves before others can do the same. You are valued, smart, and oh so loved. You owe yourself the love that you so willingly give other people. It's time to see yourself as less of a shell and more of a soul.