Things I Want My Younger Sister To Know As She Grows Up

From sister to sister- my advice to you

36
Sarah Fujawa

For all my life I was curious to see how you'd turn out. Which parent you'd resemble, what sports you'd play, what kind of friends you had, and even what kind of boy you'd bring home when the time was right. To no one's surprise, you grew up to be a beautiful, intelligent, free-willed, fun-loving 17-year old. No one was shocked. You have about two years until you get to leave the nest & go on your way to becoming the successful woman I always knew you would become.

You have the potential to be anything you want to be. Whether you want to travel to Washington D.C. and be a congresswoman, move across the world, or be the top of your class at Johns Hopkins, you can do anything you set your mind to. You're at the age where you can choose your own destiny. You can make your life a great life.

You surround yourself with people who build you up, not bring you down. Those people will be the people you hold close to your heart for the rest of your life. Don't ever let them go unappreciated. Let them know how much they mean to you. I wish more than anything I would have treated my friends better at your age. No boy can compare to the love of a best friend, trust me on that.

While we're on the topic of boys, pick one who makes everyday feel like a new adventure. Choose a boy who encourages you to be the best you that you can be. Don't settle. If it doesn't feel right, leave. Don't be ashamed to leave an amazing boy, because he may not be the one for you. Once you find the right one, don't let him go.

If you get offered an amazing opportunity no matter how expensive, how far, or how risky- do it. Take the leap. It could possibly be the best thing that has ever happened to you. I have so many regrets of my what if's. Don't have what if's.

Never lose your faith. When I was your age, I strayed away from God because I thought my friends would think less of me. Those weren't good friends for me. When life gets tough, I will always have a bible verse for you for whatever situation you're in. Seriously. Wherever life takes you, don't stray away from God.

It's scary going out into the real world. I wish more than anything I had someone by my side to tell me what to do and how to do it. I will be your help, your guide, and most importantly, I will always be your big sister.