Sorority recruitment is not what everyone says it is.

for anyone going through recruitment

Here are a few things to know about going through rush.

282
abbygale watkins

If you are questioning about going through rush, just do it anyways. If you don't like it, you can always drop and no one will be mad at you.

1. It's not as scary as you think

So, the first house you go in might shock you at first. There will be girls singing and clapping as you come into the houses. It will be so loud that you can hardly hear the girl you're talking to. But after the first house, it gets so much easier and goes by a lot faster.

2. Your fingernail polish doesn't matter

Everyone that went through my year was saying, "Oh my gosh if you were this color fingernail polish they are going to think you want them and then they will drop you." Just wear a neutral color, even though it doesn't matter, neutral goes with everything. Also, the same goes for clothes, just because you wear a pink dress doesn't mean you want Phi Mu. Go for clothes that look good on you and outfits that make you stand out.

3. Be yourself

Answer everything honestly. This is your time to brag about yourself. You will feel like you are getting asked the same questions the first day. It'll be questions like "Where are you from? What's your major? Where did you go to school? Do you have any siblings? Did you play any sports in high school?" This will get kind of annoying but just keep smiling and being kind. Later on, during the week the questions will get more personal and you will make connections with people

4. Don't get down if a sorority drops you

When I went through, after the first day a had a few sororities drop me. It made me kind of upset because I thought did I say something wrong? Or was I not good enough for them? DO NOT think that at all! It is part of the system. And when going through everyone will tell you to trust the system. Seriously trust the system. You might not the sorority you end up with but give it a chance.

5. Pref night

Pref night is a very serious night. It feels intense because the girls are screaming and clapping. They are singing but a lot softer. This will be a big night and if you're anything like me, you will cry.

6. BID DAY

Bid day is literally the best day!!! You will be so excited to get your bid. My gamma chi made us sit on our bids, literally our bid was under our butts. I was shaking because I was so anxious. After opening your bid, you will get to "run home" to your sorority house. Bid day was so much fun and is a day you won't forget.