The Ultimate Penn State Freshman Bucket List

22 Must-Do Things for the Penn State Class of 2022

A bucket list for your freshman year!

261
c1.staticflickr.com

Freshman year is an exciting time in any college student's life, but with a campus like Penn State University Park, the possibilities are endless. To get yourself more acquainted with campus or just to have some fun with new roommates and friends, here are 22 things that any freshman MUST do at Penn State:

1. Take a picture at the Nittany Lion Shrine

Whether you're comparing pictures from orientation to now or freshman year to graduation, having plenty of pictures with the Nittany Lion is a must-have for every Penn State student.

2. Picnic at the Arboretum

Most students make the short trip from East Halls to the Arboretum several times during their freshman year, but how many can say that they've had a picnic? Grab a group of friends, some Findlay Commons food, and lay down a blanket!

3. Tan on the HUB Lawn

The HUB Lawn is a great meeting place, study spot, and even tanning bed. There are countless days where students will set up blankets and towels to soak up the sun on the HUB Lawn.

4. Learn the line dance

You can't go to THON without learning the line dance, but if you do, you'll be the odd man out for about five minutes. Get to THON in time to learn the dance that you'll be doing for the next 46 hours.

5. Try a new Creamery flavor

Everyone has their favorite flavor of ice cream, but at Penn State, there's always a new flavor. Try something new the next time you go in to the creamery.

6. Order Pokey Sticks

Whether it's 3 A.M. or 2 in the afternoon, Pokey Sticks are always a good idea. Take advantage of weekday specials, and if you're brave enough, order the massive pokies.

7. Get lost in the Stacks

Going into the library can be daunting. Going into the Stacks alone can be scary even. But one thing that no freshman ever wants to experience, but probably will, is getting lost in the stacks.

8. Have Sunday Brunch

After a Saturday night out at a party or a stressful night of studying, Sunday brunch is sure to cheer up any Penn State student. Be prepared to run into every single person you know.

9. Take a tour of Old Main

Every Penn State student has seen the outside of Old Main countless times, but how many can say that they have actually been inside? Take a tour of the inside or if you're brave enough- just walk right in.

10. Skate at Pegula Arena

This is something that everyone wants to do, but most end up never actually doing. You can ice skate at Pegula during certain times of the day. For a relatively cheap price, you and your friends can skate the night away.

11. Ride the Lion Chariot

We all know the feeling of being downtown and seeing a group of lucky students pass by in the Lion Chariot. Next time you see it, flag it down and ask for a ride!

12. Host a tailgate

The hype on any game day is so real but even better when you've got a tailgate to go to! Recruit all of your friends and get a potluck started to ensure you'll have the best game day ever.

13. Go to a gym fitness class at White or IM

Even if going to the gym isn't your thing, Penn State has an amazing selection of classes that you and your friends can enjoy for free. All of the classes are listed on the student activities website and are free to sign up for!

14. Make grilled stickies

If you're living in a dorm like most freshman do, this may be a bit of a challenge. If you can't make a grilled sticky yourself, go downtown to the diner and see what all the fuss is about.

15. Scream "WE ARE" at a tour group

Because you were in their shoes only a year ago, it's fun to be on the flip side.

16. DON'T blow all of your meal points at the HUB

No matter how easy it is... do NOT go through all of your meal points at Jamba Juice or Burger King. Actually, it's probably best that you avoid the HUB at all costs. Between the long lines and higher prices, you're going to lose meal points and your patience.

17. Join a new club

Even if clubs weren't your thing in high school, joining a club is a great way to get involved at Penn State. Find one of the hundreds of orgs on campus that sparks you interest and join with a friend!

18. Eat at every dining hall

I know that it's much easier to walk the one hundred feet from your dorm to your respective dining hall, but it's important to branch out. Check the menus before heading out to grab something to eat and try something new.

19. Get tossed during a football game

After every touchdown, you and your friends will be scrambling to find enough people who are strong enough to lift and repeatedly toss you into the air during a game. If you've ever wanted to feel like you're flying and falling at the exact same time, this is something you just can't miss.

20. Walk past the Willard Preacher

I say walk past because if you stand near him for too long, you'll probably lose your hearing or get into a pretty heated argument. Most students never take more than a second or two of his preaching, but if you can slow down to listen, I promise you won't be disappointed.

21. Visit Family Clothes Line on game day

If you've ever wanted to know what it's like to fit as many people as you possibly could in a room, it would be this store on a game day. Even if you've already got all of your game day essentials, stopping in on the morning of a big game is quite the experience.

22. Enjoy every single second

No matter how much the thought of being away from home terrifies you, you only have one freshman year. Make as many memories, experience as many new things, and visit as many new places as you possibly can.