10 Things You Can Do Today When Your Anxiety Starts To Get The Best Of You

Self-care starts with the little things.

161
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/21/636572709048476974664773099_pexels-photo-66758.jpeg

Some days, there isn't much we can do except take care of ourselves and not much else. If you're someone like me who has dealt with depression in the past or are currently dealing with it or other personal challenges, you know what these days can be like. Even if you are just having an off day and need a break, not feeling like you've accomplished anything can lead to anxiety and feelings of hopelessness.

There may be days where you can barely get out of bed or you think you haven't done anything productive; however, there are always small things that you can accomplish that day that do make a difference. It's okay not to be okay for a given period of time. But while we're going through tough times, it's important to remember the small things that you can do to make a positive change in your life and other people's lives. There will be times when doing even the most basic things are going to be challenging, but remembering to celebrate the small successes each day will make a difference in the long run.

Here are 10 small things you can do today that you thought you couldn't do yesterday:

1. Brush your teeth and wash your face

I'll admit that sometimes my basic hygiene and care sometimes goes out the window when I'm feeling down. But the small act of remembering to focus on your normal routine can help you get started on the right foot even when you know you can't do much the rest of the day. Taking care of yourself can happen at any point in the day, so even if it's the afternoon, don't be afraid to get up and take a couple minutes to take care of yourself in whatever way you need.

2. Make yourself a good meal or go grocery shopping

Remembering to eat and feed yourself is so important when you're feeling depressed or unable to function. Even though going to the grocery store or whipping out your generic pasta may not seem like a big deal, giving yourself the nutrients to thrive is one of the best ways to take care of yourself.

3. Go for a walk

Walking is a great way to take your mind off things and also get outside. Even if it's just a walk around the block, your body and mind will thank you for it.

4. Get dressed

Even if you don't plan on going out today, putting something on other than PJs can help make you feel more put together and organized. It doesn't matter if anyone else is going to see you - take a day off to dress up for yourself!

5. Do your laundry

Doing laundry may seem like an annoying task, but even if it's the one thing you do today, it will make you feel so much better later. Having clean clothes to wear the next day you're feeling okay to go outside (or even stay inside) can make all the difference.

6. Volunteer or give back

Unfortunately, the days where we feel like we can barely do anything for ourselves are the days where we really wish we could be there for others. Sometimes, we don't feel like we can get out there and do anything profound or chase our dreams, but there are a lot of things that we can do to still give back to others. Show up to volunteer at an event. Give online to your favorite organization or charity. Offer to help out a friend if they need it or go out of your way to help a stranger. I know that when I feel like I am not doing much that day, I remember ways I CAN make a difference at my job, for my friends, or even online. Seeing the tasks that you have to do as not just as work but as ways you can help others can make your day more fulfilling even when it's difficult to see the end of the tunnel.

7. Reach out to a friend

Reaching out when you need help is nothing to be ashamed of. We sometimes lose touch with important people in our lives when we're feeling lost, but remembering to still reach out to them can both make your day and theirs a little brighter.

8. Clean your space

Cleaning may not be your priority at the moment, but having some clear space around you can help you feel less overwhelmed and unproductive. Even if it's just a little corner of your room, your closet, or a drawer, clearing out space and re-organizing it will help you feel a little less weighted down by the physical objects around you. Taking out all the trash or items you don't need anymore will help you feel even better.

9. Plan ahead

Jotting down all the things you need to do in the next week or even just the things you need to do today can help clear your mind of all the stress and anxiety that comes with trying to remember everything that you need to do. Taking things day by day and tell yourself that every day is a new day. What you are today isn't going to be what tomorrow is.

10. Write down the good things

I've gotten into the habit recently of writing down all the good things that happened in my week. These can be something as small as seeing a cute dog in the park to getting an interview for a job I've always wanted. When you are struggling day to day, it may be difficult to see all the good things that have happened to you this week. But remembering the small successes and acknowledging them is a small way that we can all take care of ourselves and focus on self-care.

You are not fighting this battle alone. Even on the days where there is little else, we can do, these small but significant things can make a huge difference in your or other's lives.