Things to Do During the Holidays in Chicago

Fun Tips and Trips for Everyone for a Very Chicago Christmas

31
Best Template Collection

Everyone loves a good trip to the city during the holiday season, but when you are from the 3rd biggest city in the United States, things can seem rather overwhelming. Chicago has so much to offer and coming from someone who has grown up there for a good portion of her life, it is pretty hard to not find something to do. So, if you fall into the category of tourist, or just feel consumed by wanderlust, here are some fun things to do when you are in the "one town that won't let you down."

1. John Hancock 360 Chicago

Located right on Michigan Avenue, step right up to the 94th floor of the John Hancock building to get an overlook of Chicago. This is an ideal stop for any Chicago trip year-round. 360 Chicago costs $18 and provides a food and drink lounge, Tilt , a breathtaking angle of the city for an additional cost, a gift shop, as well as different couches and tables for sightseeing and taking in those breathtaking views.

2. Lights Festival Parade

This Chicago special parade is featured in November as the symbolic start of the holiday season. The parade features many favorite Disney and Christmas characters like Mickey, Minnie, Santa, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, etc. The best part is that it is free, and travels through a decent portion of the city. It also leads up to fireworks and the lighting of the big Christmas tree in the middle of Millennium Park. This usually takes place in the middle of November.

3. Ice skating in Maggie Daley Park

Whether you have been skating, blading, or making your way on or off the ice, Maggie Daley offers an ice skating rink seasonally usually from the end of November to mid-March, depending on the weather. Ice skating takes you through an ice rink designed to enable various people in one spot, and offers some eye-catching views of different buildings around Lake Michigan and Navy Pier. Admission is free and skate rentals are about $12-14 depending on the day of the week.

4. Go see a musical

Broadway in Chicago never fails to offer spectacular shows at various prices in select theatres in the city. Notorious holiday plays include Hamilton, the Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol, Charlie Brown Christmas, etc. Plus, there is always the possibility of saving some money online or during Cyber Monday on different websites for tickets in advance.

5. Participate in a marathon

Depending on the weather, participating in a run or marathon is an excellent way of scoring benefits like treats, meeting new people, working out, and fighting for a cause. Different runs that take place in the heart of Chicago include the Hot Chocolate Run, Christmas 5k, the Ugly Sweater Run, and the Santa Hustle 5k. Early birds will love this crack of dawn workout since most runs take place as early as 7 AM! Just be sure to bundle up as it can be chilly!

6. Dine at a different or new cafe

It is almost impossible to not find a new place to eat in Chicago. Whether you find a new place spontaneously or you get a recommendation from a friend or family member, a cute cafe during the winter is always nice. Cafes that I have personally come across myself or from friends are; Artopolis, a Greek cafe for brunch or dessert located in the heart of Greek Town, Pick Me Up Cafe, a vegan-friendly spot located more on the northwest side of town for any time of the day, Ghiradelli's right on the MagMile, and the Wormhole, an 80's themed shop located on Milwaukee. Who doesn't love a fancy cappuccino or hot chocolate in 20 degree weather?

7. Shop on Michigan Avenue

Pricey, but always a good trip down the MagMile. Hitting up the Water Tower Place will allow you access to over 7 stories full of shops and food courts including a two story Forever 21, Macy's, Carson's, Garrett's Popcorn, Victoria's Secret, Banana Republic, and so many more. MagMile is notorious for having all of the high end designer shops, so if you're heading to the city and looking to splurge, it is always ideal to walk down MagMile and see what is new and in trend for the holidays!

8. Carriage Ride

On top of the snow, lights, and Christmas spirit, a carriage ride is an easy way to sightsee and just relax. Carriage rides vary depending on the distance and are offered in various parts of Chicago. It will make you feel like you are in Cinderella! Booking is typically available online and ranges between $80-100 depending on the website.

9. See the ZooLights at Lincoln Park

You don't always have to look for entertainment in the center of Chicago, the North Side continues to offer more fun for all. Lincoln Park is always a good idea because the ZooLights come on in time for Thanksgiving and the zoo is free admission all year round!

10. See Santa

It is pretty easy to spy for Santa in the city. He usually resides in shopping malls or holiday themed parks. Seeing Santa is never just for kids, ladies and gentlemen, please take advantage of Christmas in Chicago and see your favorite jolly old St. Nick! All you need to do to see Santa is avoid the 'Naughty' list!