8 College Essentials For The Incoming Freshman
College

We've all been there.

412

I was just like you three years ago, and let my learning experiences be something that makes your life easier. Here are the top eight most useful things that no Pinterest list told me I needed.

Crocs

No matter how much you hate them, they will become your best friend, and they will be your go-to slip-on shoe. When I first began my life as a student, they told me to get flip-flops for the shower and let me tell you what SUCKS in the shower... Flip-Flops.

As someone who has always had a grudge against Crocs in general, I was quick to fall in love with these versatile shoes. From shower, to down the hall, and to your first class your Crocs will have your back.

Mini Fridge WITH A FREEZER

As a student, your trips to the grocery store are few and limited, and you will want to stock up on as much as possible each time you go (especially if you don't bring a car to school). One thing that I learned the hard way was that you waste so much food when you can't freeze the leftovers.

Also, as an avid iced-anything drinker, I needed those ice cubes like I needed air, and you know what doesn't make ice cubes? a mini fridge without a freezer.

Pasta Strainer

Storytime: You just got home from school and you decide that you're in the mood for the easiest and cheesiest mac and cheese, you boil the noodles, and go to strain it and FIND OUT YOU DON'T HAVE A STRAINER. You don't know what to do so you use a plate to drain the excess water and in the process, the hot water shatters the plate all over the kitchen floor...

Do you want this to be you?

No? then I recommend purchasing or borrowing a strainer

P.S. Trust me, this is a personal story.

Kleenex

You never realize how much you sneeze, wipe up spills, or need a tissue in general. That is until you move out of your house and there is no longer three tissue boxes places strategical around the house. Moms, Dads, Grandmas, Grandpas, and parental figures everywhere, thank you for always having tissues. Tissues are the most multi-purpose cloth that you can buy, and they should without a doubt be on your list.

Vitamins

Every day, I wake up and I chug an Emergen-C.

Why you might ask?

Because everyone in college is sick all the time, and there is never a break from it. If you don't put in the effort to try and stay healthy then you can basically kiss your health goodbye. There's the flu, the common cold, allergies, bugs, etc.

Whenever you are introduced to a new community, such a large one like a college dorm/campus/classes you are exposed to SO MANY new potential germs, germs that your body hasn't conquered before, so naturally you will get sick. Luckily, someone invented vitamins, supplements, and ways to protect your body!

Extension Cord 

There are about two-four outlets in each room, and there are about one million things that need to be plugged in all the time. Extension cords are your friend for solving this crisis, but you have to make sure that your school allows them, and if they don't then you go to the meanest school in the world because extension cords are great.

10 ft phone charger

You might think that you are going to NEVER loft your bed, but take this advice from a Junior who just de-bunked her bunk beds. You are going to loft your bed because you don't know how small these rooms actually are until you are trapped in them for 10 hours a day doing homework, and you just want some space to walk around in your room. So with that being said, my best friend and go to thing is my 10 ft phone charger.

An ACTUAL alarm clock

The number of times that I have missed class because I...

A) forgot to set an alarm

B) did not hear the alarm

C) was laying on the alarm, or

D) I chose not to wake up to said alarm

... is astronomically higher than it should be. When you have a real life alarm clock, plugged into the wall, and not in your bed the amount of time that it will fail you is reduced. Unless the power goes out, and if that happens your phone probably won't help either.

With all these things, now in a list, I hope you have an amazing first year and hope that these things help you!