Things The Next Generation Is Going To Miss Out On

78

The world around us is changing everyday, minute and second. Growing up in my generation was definitely nothing like how our parents grew up and the next generation is going to be substantially different. Kids today have to be aware of things that would have never crossed my mind. News headlines regarding an array of new stories sweep the nation and influence our lives daily.

Have Your Voice Heard: Become an Odyssey Creator

Technology is something that has taken over the way we function. Devices are constantly at our finger tips and seemingly so, we cant get away from it. Kids are beginning to be sucked into the world of technology at a young age. This involves the use of iPods, gaming systems, and phones. I do not understand the growing phenomena of young kids having smart phones. Kids at that age do not have enough understanding of the power of such a device. To me, it is almost frightening because with all of the websites and applications of today, kids can get themselves into sticky situations. Kids should be kids and not have to worry about living up to a seemingly "picture perfect" life which is portrayed through social media.

I have seen many kids that do not wish to do anything but to be whisked away into a virtual reality. There comes a time where someone needs to go outside, socialize and be active. We were not made to sit inside in isolation all day. Studies show that due to the constant entertainment that we receive through social media, gaming and other technologies, our mentalities are actually changing. We are in constant need of entertainment and our attention spans are being negatively affected.

When I was young, my parents would tell me stories about getting together with all of the neighborhood kids and being able to roam their town unsupervised all day, just to make it home in time for dinner. In todays society, parents would never let their kids off of their property, let alone the block without supervision. Safety has become an issue and kids have to be more careful than ever.

Kids today live under a microscope and do not have the same experiences to just be a kid. Kids are maturing at a young age due to the many influences they are under. Its time to let kids be kids.