8 Things To Be Thankful For, Even If You're A Chandler

"I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm very thankful that all your Thanksgivings sucked. "

195

Thanksgiving: A time to be thankful. It's in the title. You know what you're supposed to do. This holiday has always been a favorite of mine because I associate it with so many good memories of sharing a meal with close friends and family and taking time to say what I am grateful for. But, maybe you're a Chandler. Maybe for you this day isn't anything special or just another painful reminder of everything you don't have to be thankful for. It's a lot easier to dwell on what don't have 364 days of the year, but just for the one, here are a few things we could all stand to be a little more thankful for this holiday season.

1. "Friends"

And I mean Friends, not friends. Sure, I love my friends just as much as the next girl. But, just for a moment, let's put them aside and take a second to be grateful for the blessing that is Friends. While I am biased, I still enjoy and appreciate the other notable classics such as "How I Met Your Mother," "The Office," "Sex and the City," "Grey's Anatomy," and "Glee." I've watched and rewatched them all. My point is, we have all that show that we keep close to our heart. The show that never gets old, that never fails to make us laugh, cry, and get pissed off, despite the fact that we know what's going to happen every single time. And no matter what kind of day you're having, you can always count on your Friends being there for you. (See what I did there?) Bada Bing.

2. That feeling when your favorite song comes on shuffle 

Photo by Jean on Unsplash

Have you ever had a moment where you were walking, mindlessly lost in thought, when all of the sudden a great song comes up on your playlist? Maybe an oldie that used to be your all time favorite or that you would jam out to in the car with your friends in high school. Or maybe even just a song you've been listening to on repeat for the past week, but you still aren't sick of yet ("thank u, next" anyone?) It's a song that makes you want to tap your foot to the beat, to hum every lyric along with, that even makes you smile a little on the inside. Sure, it may only last for three minutes and 24 seconds, but that's what the repeat button is for. Remember that feeling. And relive it over and over again.

3. When you laugh so hard it physically hurts 

Photo by Ben White on Unsplash

I'm pretty sure we have all had the pleasure of laughing hysterically. If you haven't, I highly recommend finding funnier friends. Laughing is something we do all the time. But I'm talking about genuine laughter, the kind that makes your sides hurt, tears shed from your eyes, and restricts your breathing to a dangerously low level. I can easily pinpoint the times I laughed this hard because they were memorable (and a bit painful). And when I think of the reasons I was so happy in those moments, whether they were the people or the jokes, I can't help but smile and feel fulfilled.

4. The kind stranger on the street 

Photo by Ryoji Iwata on Unsplash

We live in a city of rude people. There's no sugar coating it. People don't care if they cut you off or bump into you aggressively on the street. They just go on with their days. And hey, I'm definitely guilty of this myself at times. But, sometimes on a rare occasion, you actually have a pleasant interaction with a stranger on the street. Maybe they compliment your shoes, or tell you they like your sense of style, or even better, they ask you for directions because you look like a native. Those little, meaningless compliments and conversations, if I think about it, really do make my day.

5. That perfect iced beverage 

Photo by Ben Kolde on Unsplash

If you are a coffee connoisseur like myself, you know nothing quite beats the taste of a freshly brewed, velvety smooth black coffee in the morning. And I got to admit, having the right cup of joe really sets the tone. It may all be in my head, but starting off a Monday morning with a coffee from Think versus La Colombe reflects how the rest of my day tends to go. But even if you're not a coffee drinker, I'm sure you can still relate with your favorite beverage. Even an ice-cold glass of water really will hit the spot. It's just one of those simpler satisfactions.

6. A beautiful day

Photo by Heidi Kim

With the unpredictable Manhattan weather, a full day of good weather is few and far between. Every morning when I wake up, I have to check to see if I'll be needing a winter coat, a light sweater, sunglasses, an umbrella, or all of the above. Monday I'll be wishing I wore an extra layer, and Tuesday I'll be working up a sweat, wishing I was wearing a lot less But once in a while, Mother Nature is kind, and we have a beautiful day with 70 degree weather, warm sunshine, and not a single drop of rain. It's days like those that make my morning trek from Gram to campus almost worth it.

7. Living in NYC 

Photo by Mike Chavarri on Unsplash

Often, I forget how lucky I am. I forget where I go to school and how fortunate I am to live in a place that people literally dream of coming to. It's those moments, when I'm watching classic shows that are set in NYC, and I see shots of the Flatiron building or the Washington Square Arch that I am reminded of where I am. No matter where you are spending the holiday this year, whether it be here in the city or all the way back home in Dallas, Texas, don't forget to take a second to be thankful that you get to call the city your second home.

8. You're alive and you have time

Photo by Heidi Kim

You may have gagged as soon as you read this. I get it. I sound like something you'd see on the cover of a book in the Self-Help section at Barnes and Noble. At our age especially, it's easy to feel overwhelmed, as if of all the inconveniences we have to deal with, the last thing we have in this world is time. We are at a point in our lives where we are faced with endless decisions to make; it's stressful and quite unpleasant. But, aren't we fortunate to get to make these decisions? That we get to have a say in our lives and our futures? Even on those days where it seems like you have nothing going for you, at least remember you are lucky to be alive because it means you have more choices and opportunities ahead. I don't know your situation or your current headspace, but I do know that if you are reading this, you are breathing, and you still have time. At the very least, let's all be thankful for that.