5 Important Lessons Photography Has Taught Me

It has made me a better version of myself.

36
Jeanne DiMaggio

.

1. Patience.

Taking pictures requires time and effort, especially if you're a hired photographer. You have to understand that sometimes getting the perfect shot takes a while, and editing afterwards can take hours. Patience.

2. Time management.

For me, I've had to learn how to balance schoolwork, my social life, my job, and everything else with my photography. I learn to prioritize. If I just take pictures for fun knowing they won't go anywhere, sometimes I'll push those photos to the backburner and focus on my class photography assignments and my paid photoshoots instead.

3. Knowing what a good picture looks like. 

When I first got into photography at age 12, I would take pictures of anything and everything. I didn't know the difference between a good and a bad picture. I thought everything was photo-worthy. Turns out, it's not. The more I photograph, the more I can distinguish amazing photos from just run-of-the-mill ones. This helps me weed out my less appealing pictures when I'm editing.

4. Perseverance. 

Sometimes there are days when I go into situations thinking I'll get amazing pictures, but in reality, my results are far less than my expectations. That's alright. I know I can't get great photos every single time I take my camera out. However, what I do know is how great the satisfaction is when I finally do get a really good picture. So I persevere.

5. How to develop an artistic eye. 

I've always had a creative side to me, but photography has really taught me how to refine my artistic nature. Sometimes I'll have my camera on me and a voice inside will just say, "Hey, you should take a picture of that." And because I've been practicing photography for years now, my eyes can discern how I should compose my scenes for the best lighting, dramatic effect, etc. Photography truly has aided me in becoming a better version of myself, and I'm incredibly grateful to be studying it in college.