Things People Should Stop Saying To Women Of Color About Their Hair

Just a reminder that our hair hair is always popping and people should stop with rude remarks.

1217
Simone Johnson

"Is That Your Real Hair?"

Sometimes it may be hard to tell with protective styles and all but if someone tells you that the style they are wearing is their hair, you should not argue with them (about their own hair) and you should seriously stop asking 5,000 questions as to why and how it is the way that it is unless you really just want to be informed.

"Why Did You Big Chop?"

Answers can vary, but for the most part, most natural women big chop or cut their hair for normal reasons like any other person, for healthier hair, a change in preference, etc. Maybe they needed a trim or simply wanted to try something new. Curiosity is okay but that negative connotation associated with someone who makes a dramatic cut to their hair is rude and unnecessary.

"Why You Straighten Your Hair More?"

First and foremost, you must understand that like all hair, heat can cause damage. However, the circumstances are much higher for curly haired women as it will not only kill their hair in general but it causes irreversible and VERY noticeable damages to our hair if not done properly or too much. I’ll also throw in the fact that straightened or not our hair still looks amazing and who doesn't love to see some popping curls?

"Your Hair Looks Like A Poodle"

I have had a numerous amount of my friends tell me that someone has said their hair looks like a poodle, bush, sticks, etc. It is not a compliment and I'm not sure if people think it is but it is extremely rude and you don’t see anyone bashing other styles in the same way. It takes elegance to rock natural hair so beautifully, people should not compare it to dogs or anything like that out of respect and simple human decency.

"I Liked Your Hair Better When You Had "X" Hairstyle"

This is one even other women with natural hair say to each other. All I have to say is if you aren't my significant other, my mother, paying for my hair, or a celebrity hairstylist don’t tell me how you liked my hair better in another style. Natural/ black hair is very versatile so why should it be restricted to any few styles. Everyone should be able to experiment with their hair, without hesitation because people may not like it as much as the last style they had.

"Can I Touch Your Hair?"

It's safe to say that most people are okay with very few people touching their hair. If you are not close to someone you have no reason to put your hands and other limbs anywhere near their head. Not only is it a bit disgusting but it is extremely rude and sometimes just odd. Ask before you start braiding, twirling, or closely examining anyone's hair. This goes for all people.

"How Do You Get Your Hair So Curly?"

Usually, it consists of just water… it's our natural hair texture… it just is...simply...genetics. Just like other people have naturally straight or wavy hair, it is possible to have naturally curly hair! As my roommate said once “Ask my parents, they probably have the recipe”.

"How Did Your Hair Grow So Fast?"

This should not be a question people should still be asking. They’re called protective styles, usually consisting of some sort of extensions. I understand that some people are just curious but honestly, context clues and common sense can figure this one out. It gets annoying after a while.

Thanks to my beautiful friends for allowing me to feature their pictures YES, QUEENS!