Picking a Major

If You Push For Something That’s Not Meant To Be, The World WILL Push Back

Sometimes what we think we want is not what we actually need.

98
Photographer: Patti Clark; Instagram: @bloommama_

Have you ever wanted something to work out so badly, but no matter how much time, effort, money, and love you poured into something, it just wouldn't?

That, my friends, is the world telling you that maybe, just maybe, that thing's is not meant for you.

Since I was a kid, I have always been a hard worker, and am still told the same today. I am willing to pour hours of my time, effort, and sweat in order to accomplish my goals and endeavors. When I entered college, I set my mind on wanting to become a Dentist.

For three years, I took the required science courses, I joined the honor societies, woke up at 7 a.m. and put on professional clothing to shadow, attended seminars and various lectures.

But for some reason, no matter how much effort I put into this endeavor, things just wouldn't seem to work out in my favor. I was pouring hours of my time into my science courses and was still not making high grades, I was attending tutoring and pulling all-nighters, trying to understand concepts- but it just. Would. Not. Work. But it didn't matter. I continued to work towards this goal, even though every other night I was having a breakdown, or was sleep deprived, or incredibly anxious and just overall miserable with my consistent setbacks.

I was so dead set on wanting to become the dentist that I continued to pursue this until December of my junior year.

I think at a certain point (maybe between the bi-daily tearful phone calls) a few of my closest friends knew that maybe dentistry wasn't for me. When they asked me why I wanted to become a dentist, my answer always was: "I want to help people." They tried to convey that I could help people in a multitude of other ways and asked me if I had thought about X career or Y career as an option.

But all of that was heard with deaf ears because I really was pushing towards this goal. I remember constantly telling myself, "you are working hard, you are doing it because you want to help people. Things will eventually work out, keep pushing."

But it didn't.

That December, I realized that I was constantly pushing towards a 'finish line,' per se, that never seemed to get closer Things I was doing just seemed to be being swallowed into a never-ending hole. And it was at this point that I decided that maybe this isn't the path for me. My JUNIOR freaking year. As if I wasn't stressed and panicked about my future enough, huh?

To my surprise, things slowly started to work out. I was surrounded by people who supported me, who guided and directed me to people who would help me decipher what I was passionate about and other possible career options.

Even though I was initially pursuing dentistry, my major had remained psychology because I was always more interested in the 'people' aspect of the career. However, once moving away from dentistry, I knew that psychology was where my interest truly existed. I was already part of a research lab in the psychological field. I was able to obtain an internship in psychology, which is a feat within itself, due to the nature of the field. And although I changed my mind about my future career, I was still on track to graduate on time. In fact, I'm actually graduating in about two weeks.

A whole semester early.

It might sound very philosophical, or however, you wish to perceive this, but I truly believe there are certain things you are meant to do. There are certain majors you are supposed to pursue, there are certain jobs you are supposed to have, and certain people you are supposed to meet. And to some degree, I think the universe is aware of it.

And I truly believe that the universe will push against you when you try to make something work that maybe isn't supposed to. And, more than anything, I definitely believe that the universe helps you when you are on the right path.