Things I Miss About Angelica, New York

Things I Miss About Angelica, New York

Looking back on my home town

313
Things I Miss About Angelica, New York
37Parkcircle.com

About four and a half months ago, I had moved from my home town of Angelica, New York to Amherst in order to attend graduate school at the University at Buffalo. While this has provided new opportunities, it has also involved leaving behind, at least for the time being, aspects of life which I had in my home town. Thinking over the matter, I decided to reminisce about some of the things which I miss about Angelica, New York.

I miss my old home and being able to see my father on a daily basis. Though we communicate over the phone, and I visit from time to time. I miss our two small dogs, Elvis and Teddy. Who are often excited when my sister and I come to visit, and to get petted by us. I miss the small river in our backyard, which I had many years playing by, and built numerous structures out of wood and rocks by its banks.

I miss the convenience of various members of my extended family living close by.

I miss the old town grocery store, which was within easy walking distance. I miss being able to take regular walks through the town. I miss the park circle; with its relaxing scenery and the various community events it hosted. I miss the town library, where from time to time I delivered historical lectures.

I miss the town historical society and friends of the library groups, which I had been involved in. Both in the sense of things I did them and the other people in the group I had interacted with.

I miss being able to conveniently attend local events. Whether that be stopping to get a donut from the Amish stand at the weekend farmer's market, or seeing the annual civil war reenactment. I miss being able to attend the monthly county historical roundtable meetings.

I miss having the atmosphere of having a significant number of members of the local community knowing who I am, and the sense of community developed from a long history of residence.

With the good memories, positive aspects, and personal connections I have with my home town of Angelica, it’s not surprising that I miss living in it. I suppose its only natural that I would.

Now there are plenty of nice things about moving up to Amherst. It affords me the opportunity to advance my historical career, I now live closer to my mother and can see her more often, and I have the chance to meet more people who I share common interests with. I have gotten to the point where I feel at home in my new apartment and the UB north campus is gradually growing more familiar to me. Though I don’t feel quite connected with the Amherst community yet, I figure that as time goes on and I am able to get more involved with things going on here, I will be able to develop a sense of community here.

As I move forward with my life, I retain my sentiments for what I have had. And I look forward to the next time I can visit my home town of Angelica, New York.