10 Things I Love That Are Only In My Hometown Of Lindsborg

There are way more then 10 but I had to stop somewhere.

1509
Instagram

My small town of Lindsborg, Kansas was the best place I could have asked to grow up. It’s pretty quirky but in some of the greatest possible ways.

1. Hyllingsfest (Festival)

Fun fact that I didn’t know until this year (after being a part of Hyllingsfest for 19 years): Hyllingsfest means Honoring Festival in Swedish. Hyllingsfest is a huge festival my small town puts on to honor our Swedish Heritage. I am not Swedish but the people that originally settled Lindsborg were, and many of the residents that live here today still are.

It is a Biannual festival the second weekend in October. This year I got to take all my college friends back to show them all of the festivities. The most fundamental part of Hyllingsfest is Swedish dancing, which is done by everyone. Elementary through high school students in Lindsborg and also adult groups Swedish dance and even alumni come back for certain dances.

Yes, I danced in this festival every year in traditional Swedish costumes. There are crafts and many booths set up as well as games for kids. There is traditional Swedish Food and other vendors and people wait for hours in line (no joke) for “Vikings on a Stick” every (other) year.

2. Black Smith Coffee

It changed locations (back and forth across main street) and owners hands several times as I was growing up but I have loved it through all the years! My sister worked there in high school and for a while going there was in my daily routine. Now anytime I go back I make sure and stop in and get my favorite: a double stuffed blended ice drink.

3. Vision_Tek

I have always looked up to my older sister who was in a program called Vision_Tek while she was in high school. I remember it sounded so cool all of the things she got to do and I couldn’t wait to be a part of it when I got to high school.

Vision_Tek is our main tech program for our high school and we were very lucky to have it and it be really well funded for how small of a school we are. Vision_Tek has all these cool gadgets and software that the students in it got to learn about and play with.

It was such a great experience for me getting to develop my Photoshop skills and getting to compete in our yearly film festival as well as other tech competitions with other high schools. Vision_Tek is one of, if not the best, high school program I have heard of.

Our teacher, Mrs. Denk, and the Vision_Tek community, in general, pushed us to learn how to problem solve, be independent, and creative with whatever we were interested in. They would help us in whatever way they could but also really pushed us to learn for ourselves because that’s how the real world works.

4. Jalisco’s

A staple in our town is Jalisco’s, the one and only Mexican restaurant in our town. Friday nights were regularly spent grabbing food there with my friends and we still get together there when we are all back in town. Their queso = amazing.

5. Broadway RFD

I have loved theatre my whole life and a big part of that was going to Broadway RFD every summer. In our local park, 3 blocks from my house growing up, was a band shell that every summer would host Broadway RFD. The community puts on a show for two weekends every summer, which is always great as well as being the longest-running outdoor theatre in Kansas.

I remember going to shows such as South Pacific and Oklahoma and then even getting to be involved in a production of Guys in Dolls with them one summer!

6. Kaps

My middle school and high school years are filled with memories of going to Kaps, one of two local gas stations. Depending on the time of year, my friends and I would get either Pepsi slushies or Marshmallow Lattes and sit in the booths and hang out. I continue to stop there to get gas and a slushy every time I’m leaving town!

7. Midsummers Festival

Midsummers is another of my favorite festivals (we have several Swedish festivals a year). It is a bit smaller then Hyllingsfest but just as fun. It takes place in June every year and there are similar food and activities to Hyllingsfest but only the high school and adult Swedish dance groups perform. Most everyone is wearing flower crowns and it just feels like the perfect way to celebrate summer.

8. Dala Horses

Dala Horses are another part of our town’s Swedish heritage. We have more than a few Dala Horse statues painted in different ways placed around town. There is even a giant Dala Horse that you can sit on and take pictures (Yes, I have several hundred of me and others on that Dala Horse).

My favorite: Dalallama TeleComma

9. Old Mill Bridge

I have so many memories walking along the Old Mill bridge and taking pictures there. It is especially beautiful around this time of year when the Christmas lights are lit up on it. Going there and just being there was one of the last things I did before I moved.

It is still the place my friends and I normally end our nights in town together; taking pictures or just talking in this place that seems just so magical between all the lights and memories on that old beautiful bridge.

10. Coronado Heights

Coronado Heights is my and Lindsborg’s, “Castle on the Hill.” Seriously, when that Ed Sheeran song came out several people from my town (myself included) couldn’t stop playing it because it’s exactly what Coronado Heights is to us. Basically, just listen to that song, if you haven’t and you will get it.

From picnics with my family’s in the summer, to hiking (as much as you can in Kansas) and stargazing at night. It is a must do anytime I go back to Lindsborg even if I just go by myself and look out over that beautiful town that I still call home.

I wrote 10 things for this article because I had to put an end somewhere but there are way more than 10 things. In case you can’t tell I’m a little bit obsessed with my hometown but when one’s hometown is so great why wouldn’t you be? I’ve enjoyed at least some aspect of every town I’ve lived in but I don’t think any of them could ever beat the charm of Lindsborg.