11 Things I Learned From My First 8 Weeks Of College

My first 8 weeks of college were nothing short of excitement, highs and lows, and shocking revelations.

204
osuwell // Instagram

College is full of ups and downs, but with midterms behind me, I have now had time to sit and reflect on the past 8 weeks. Here are a few things I learned.

1. Professors actually do care.

I don't know how it is at other schools, but at Oklahoma State University, professors do actually want you to succeed and do well. I was shocked on my first day of class when every professor told the class how much they wanted to see them during office hours and would look over essays, worksheets, and extra credit assignments to ensure a good grade.

2. You get out what you put in.

No longer will there be someone there to make sure you're going to class or getting involved. If you choose to stay in your dorm room, not do homework, and not get involved, that is exactly what you will get back. If you want to be successful, you have to first put in the effort.

3. Campus offers so many great resources.

Whether it be technical support, a wellness center, various club opportunities, or a study abroad office, making use of these resources is vital to making the most of your college experience. I have never had so many resources at my fingertips!

4. Naps are dangerous.

What might start out as a harmless, 20 minute nap, will probably turn into 3 hours wasted, a class missed, or an essay that doesn't get done.

5. Procrastination will get you nothing but a bad grade.

In high school, you may have gotten away with finishing an assignment last minute; however, college work tends to be a bit tougher and will probably require more work than high school. Also, a professor can tell when you didn't put time into their assignment and will probably not be too impressed.

6. Studying a little bit every day is much more effective than cramming the night before.

I have found that studying a little bit every day has helped me so much more than trying to cram right before an exam. I have tested this out many times, trust me!

7. You actually have to make an effort to keep old friends and make new friends.

In high school, you are with friends every day so it is easy to stay close to them. But after graduation, people go their separate ways and you really have to make an effort to see them. Along with this, it is also harder to make friends in college unless you join a fraternity/sorority, club, or a team.

8. Having a meal plan is the best and worst thing of your life.

Say hi to never going hungry, and say hello to the "Freshman Fifteen".

9. The Freshman 15 is real.

As much as we try to deny it, it is inevitable.

10. Partying/drinking isn't as great as they say.

One word: overrated.

11. GO GREEK.

Joining the Greek Community is not just about "paying for friends" or partying. The best decision I ever made was joining a sorority for the simple fact that I am more involved, I have an organization to keep me accountable for my actions and grades, it got me out of my comfort zone, and I have already made so many great connections and friendships in the short eight weeks that I've been in college.