10 Things I Learned About College Through Trial And Error
Education

10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Leaving For College, But Learned By Trial And Error

College is a learning experience. We must go through the good, the bad, and the ugly from time to time.

73

As a junior in college, I frequently look back on all the lessons I have learned the last two years and that I am continuing to learn. Through trial and error, I have learned what is worth stressing over and what I should let go.

Read below to see the lessons I have learned along the way.

1. Friends will change

I can't say this enough. From day one, my mom has told me and continues to remind me that my friends will change and to not take this as a bad thing. College is a learning experience. We are all on our own doing adult things. With this in mind, some people will be immature while others will learn how important it is to have a strong support system. Sure, it is sad to think of all the friends I no longer speak with from freshman year to now, but those friendships have helped shaped the woman I have become. Through this, I have learned that I would rather have five good friends than ten flaky and fake friends. It is OK to outgrow people. College is an ever-changing world. Keep the good ones close, but allow yourself to meet new people and let go when needed.

2. Not everything will go as planned and that is OK

As young adults, we are all learning how to navigate and do this whole college thing. With this in mind, we are all juggling different things and learning along the way. Not everything will go as planned and that is OK. Maybe you will switch your major a few times? Maybe you think you want to be a part of the volleyball team, but a few months later you realize it may not be your thing anymore. THAT IS TOTALLY OK. Stop expecting and live in the moment. I guarantee you will be so much happier.

3. You grow outside your comfort zone

Sure, it's nice to stay in a comfy and cozy environment especially being away from home and on your own. But being in college, it is important to step out of your comfort zone and learn. Sometimes it may good to feel uncomfortable. When you step outside your comfort zone, you experience things you wouldn't have if you stayed on track. Individuals gain further knowledge and learn what they like and do not like. For example, you never are going to know you like something unless you try it. Being young and adulting is the perfect time to learn. Give life a shot. You may surprise yourself!

4. Focus on your studies, the rest comes later

The point of college is to study and get a degree. Yes, making memories and having fun is a given, but that is an extra perk of being away from home and being on your own. As college students, we have to find a balance. We are allowed to have fun, but with that in mind, we have to remember why we are here in the first place: to get a degree. Put academics first and then have fun. Going out and hanging with friends is exciting, but knowing you got your work done first will let you not worry or freak, but instead have fun and enjoy the moment.

5. You don't have to party to be social or fun

Some people prefer going out to parties, while others would rather a night in with snacks and a movie. Both options are fun and considered to be social and depend on what the individual prefers doing. Many people think that since they no longer have parents watching their every move it is time to go crazy and experience things they've been dying to try. That mindset is fine, but it is also OK to relax and stay in. Everyone has things they like to do, whether it be bar hopping or going for a casual dinner. Focus on what you like to do and find people who share the same interests. Remember: You do not have to do anything you don't want to.

6. Everyone is just as scared as you — no one knows what they are doing

Believe it or not, everyone is just as scared of this college thing as you are. Even if they seem like they have everything together, no one does. We are all learning what we like/do not like and are moving at our own paces. Just because you miss home or do not know how to balance your workload and your friends does not mean you are doing everything wrong. Everyone has their highs and their lows at some point. Learn how to deal with anything that comes your way. Comparing yourself to your friends and roommates will not help. Everyone is just as scared, yet even more with what the future may hold/what they will eat for dinner. RELAX! It will all work. We are all on this crazy journey together!

7. Everyone moves at their own pace

Piggybacking on my last listicle, everyone is learning and moving at their own pace. Just because someone has more credits and is graduating earlier than you does not mean they are smarter or better than you. There is no set path or time frame. Do you boo! Do not judge how or when. Each person is moving at their own pace and will finish school when they finish. We are all here getting a degree to further our educational fields. Be supportive. DO NOT COMPARE!

8. It is OK to miss home

Home is where the heart is. School gets overwhelming sometimes. Cry, workout, eat a piece of cake — you deserve it. Oh, and maybe go home? Sometimes we need that extra love and support when life gets crazy. Hun, there is no shame. When you need an extra boost of confidence or you are too lazy to buy groceries, head home and see your family. If this is impossible due to logistical reasons, phone home or facetime. There is no better feeling then seeing your family, even if it is a make do video chat. I promise you, they miss you just as much as you miss them.

9. Use downtime wisely

MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF AND TIME TO JUST DO NOTHING. Yes, it is important to be a social butterfly and to make friends but give yourself a break from time to time. Watch a movie, take a nap, take a bath, anything to relax you! In all, you cannot perform your best if you are a hot mess!

10. When everyone says it flies by it really does.

This is such a cliché but enjoy college. IT FLIES BY SO FREAKING FAST. I cannot believe I am a junior already. Enjoy every minute. The good, the bad, and the ugly. All of these situations and experiences are helping you navigate life to find out who you want to be. Trust the process and just have fun. If I could do college and can continue, so can you!