10 Things Journalism Majors Can All Relate To

The life of a journalism major can be described here.

60
Writing with computer

Journalism is not the most smilied upon major at the moment. In today's climate journalists get bashed for writing the truth and writing the facts. There is no easy way to be one and to be a good one takes something special. But, for those who haven't hit the real world yet and are still in the class room as beginners here are some things that I believe us journalism majors can relate to.

1. When you pushed off the deadline for weeks and now have 30 seconds to write your story.

Procrastination is so real and I have definitely pushed back many deadlines, but hey I got it done right? And got it in on time!

2. Sleep does not exist sometimes

There will be some long nights of reading articles for class or just researching for your next piece. Sleeping will not exist for the most part during the week, hell even the weekend might not be any better.

3. No such thing as "Spring Break" or "Summer Break"

This one could just be me, but even during spring break I still had assignments for articles and having to brainstorm for new ideas. The grind never stops and you have to stay on top of things.

4. Must to be on top of social media

Now that almost everything is digital you pretty much have to stay on top of everything on social media. Knowing the trends, who are good sources, and just trying to find out what the facts are. Social media is pretty much our best friend sometimes.

5. When you set up a meeting on campus with a source and they don't show up.

Most annoying thing ever. All i needed was some details on how the event went at Commons and you don't show up. Listen if you can't come just me know.

6. Having to talk to people, but you're awkward

Having to talk and interact with people you don'y know is the name of the game and if you are awkward like me this will be very difficult. Literally this GIF is the most accurate way to describe the awkwardness of asking some random person dumb questions from class.

7. Looking at all those edits from your story.

Looking at all those red marks is very frustrating, considering all the work it took writing the damn thing. But, kind of blessing since you're just starting out and edits are necessary to fix the story. But, man all that time now i gotta start over ?!?!

8. Networking gets you places

Networking is one of the hardest parts and this goes along with being awkward. It is very hard to get out of that comfort zone, but the only way to get sources and leads will be to network your ass off. Shaking hands is the start, but going into conversation will be a whole different task.

9. Having to brainstorm ideas

Thinking of ideas for the next piece can be hard as well. Get a journal and jot them down, but still having to be in deep thought like Batman can go on for hours on end.

10. We know it is not the most glamours job, but we do it because writing is our passion.

This is sometimes not the job that will make you a billion dollars, but it takes true passion to write or talk. Journalism is art and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. It takes many hours of editing and gathering research to do what we do. Keep your head up and chase every story you can find!