Cheap and Inexpensive Activites

10 Free and Inexpensive Things To Do In Tucson, AZ

Not even your 'broke' friend can say no!

62
Historic Fourth Avenue

There are so many different things to do in this world: sky dive, scuba, road trip cross country. The only issue: money. For those who want affordable things to do, or for the people whose friends who can't hang because 'they're broke,' actually broke, or simply just cheap, here are some free and inexpensive ideas on things to do in and around Tucson, AZ.

1. Take A Ride To D&D Pinball

TripAdvisor

Do you like loud games, crazy lights, and a fun time for cheap? Located in the Historic Fourth Avenue District, D&D Pinball is a hidden gem of Tucson, AZ. This arcade is open to everyone; all you need is quarters to play with, or simply a few dollars to exchange. This is Arizona's largest pinball arcade and it does not disappoint. With colorful lights exploding from every machine and sounds blaring from the player next to you, this arcade presents a fun time for very little money. Though it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, D&D Pinball is a great idea anyone.

2. 'Take Some Amazing Photos on 'A' Mountain

Arizona Daily Star

For those who love a view, 'A' Mountain (or Sentinel Peak) is another great date idea. Only a short drive southwest of downtown Tucson, you and your date can enjoy the beautiful view of Tucson and the surrounding natural beauty from the top of this peak. It is the perfect place to drive to watch the sunset, and it is completely free! There is parking at the top of the mountain, areas to hike, and even a gazebo to relax in after. For those in need of a quick trip, 'A' Mountain can't be beat.

3. Catch A Movie At Cinemark Tuesday

Cinema Treasures

If you love the movies and enjoy spending little money, then Cinemark Tuesdays may be your next weekly tradition. Every Tuesday, at participating locations, it is Discount Day at Cinemark Cinemas. This is a weekly deal where all films are discounted with ticket prices as low as $1. Though there are some exceptions with the rule, this is a deal that can't be beat. Next time you go to the movies, make sure its discount day; save your money on tickets to spend on popcorn.

4. Take A Hike On Mt. Lemmon

Arizona Bike Riders

Need a little trip not too far from Tucson? Mount Lemmon is about a 1 ½ to 2-hour scenic drive through Sabino National Forest, right outside of Tucson. Mount Lemmon has numerous hikes, up and down the mountain, with varying levels of difficulty. Depending where you go there may be an inexpensive car-fee for the trail. For those who especially love the outdoors there are areas to camp as well. Mount Lemmon displays the natural beauty of Tucson; It provides a nice trip for very little money.

5. Check Out The Center For Creative Photography

Andrew Freeman

Do you enjoy photography? Located on the University of Arizona campus, the Center for Creative Photography is home to the works of several famous photographers. Opened in 1975, the University President John Schaefer and renowned photographer Ansel Adams founded the center in order to create a place for learning and art. Though the center is closed Mondays and Tuesdays, admission is always free, though donations are accepted. For those trying to stay out of the Arizona heat, the Center for Creative Photography is a perfect place to spend time inside admiring the photographic works currently on display.

6. Explore The Beauty of Sabino Canyon

Visual River's Blog

Love hiking and being outside, even in the roaring Arizona heat? Sabino Canyon is located in the Santa Catalinas, only a short drive north. This is another area where there are numerous trails for any level of hiker; however, the Seven Falls trail is a well-known three-hour trek, with a surprise at the end. Sabino Canyon also consists of natural pools of water along the scenic trails. This area is a beautiful place to take a date for only a cheap car parking fee.

7. Tucson Botanical Gardens

Tucson Botanical Gardens

In need of a cute date? The Botanical Gardens are located in midtown Tucson; on the property of Tucson's Porter family. These five-acres of natural beauty provides a medium for education on the natural desert, as well as, featuring various cacti and plants. The perfect place to stroll through with a date or take photographs with a friend. The Tucson Botanical Gardens consist of 16 different gardens with diverse themes and vegetation. A great way to spend the day.

8. Reid Park Zoo

Reid Park Zoo

The local Reid Park Zoo contains over 400 animals dedicated to various regions in the world. With a relatively cheap admission, anyone is able to see a variety of exotic animals that they otherwise may never have the opportunity. There is also "The Flight Connection,' located inside the zoo, is a walk-through aviary where visitors can observe birds only feet away from themselves. Though it may not be the biggest zoo, it provides a friendly and comfortable environment to enjoy and observe these exotic animals.

9. The University of Arizona Museum of Art

College of Fine Arts

Thought you could handle the heat, but can't? Tucson is home to several museums on various topics of interest, all for cheap or free admission. The University of Arizona Museum of Art, consisting of Renaissance works and 19th to 20th century art, and The Arizona State Museum, consisting of over 300,000 cataloged archeological artifact, are both located on campus at the University of Arizona. Admission is inexpensive. Other museums include the Southern Arizona Transportation Museum, H.H. Franklin Museum, Fort Lowell Museum, to name a few.

10. The University of Arizona Flandreau Science Center and Planetarium

UA News

Need something a little bit different or out of this world? The University of Arizona's Flandreau Science Center and Planetarium is an amazing experience for any college students looking for a class or an activity to do towards the end of the day. Light shows take place during the year including holiday shows exploring the North Pole as well! With various amounts of light shows and courses in this room, it's a great spot for students to attend to!

From archeological artifacts to pinball and from outdoor enthusiasts to history buffs, Tucson has something or everyone. Without having to break the bank, enjoy some time at one of these places. Not even your 'broke' friend can say no.