3 Things I Hated About Having A Roommate

3 Things I Hated About Having A Roommate In College

Why I disliked most of my roommates.

41

If you are a college and you stay on campus, more then likely you stay in a dormitory. That could be with another person in the same room directly or an apartment-style dorm. If you are also like myself, I have stayed in both types. Here are a few things I hated about staying in either.

1.  Cleanliness is essential in college.

One would think that being a college student means you are fully capable of handling more responsibilities and start learning how to make better decisions, including taking care of yourself and your surrounding environment. I want to keep any roommate that I have had as anonymous as possible, therefore for non-disclosing purposes; I will name this person Kayla to make the read easier. Kayla was someone who did not necessarily have a massive problem with cleaning until it came to cleaning the restroom. The restroom always seemed to be my responsibility. No matter how dirty the bathroom looked, she was never the one to opted to clean it. I love to clean, but when it started to feel like an unfair amount it was beginning to get quite annoying. We are all adults at this point in our lifetimes, and I should not have to tell anyone else to clean up after themselves or clean a shared living space every once in a while.

2. I walked in on my roommate having sex. 

As most of you may know if you're living inside of the same room as someone that person may want to have company over. Although the kind of company I am referring to isn't just on a friendly level. I am more so getting at a guest who may be of love interest or significant other. We are adults and should be able to communicate with one another. There was a time where the roommate I had, invited someone over without consulting me. I left the room with the intentions of coming back. She and I had a texting system off if we had someone over and intended on having someone over we would send a particular emoji. Needless to say, she never sent me a text and I ended up on walking in on her having sex. Quite disturbing and I saw a lot of body parts I shouldn't have.

3. Keeping the thermostat on a setting of hell is unacceptable. 

When it comes to me, I am a very understanding person. Typically I get along with everyone who encounters my presence. This was my freshmen year and first semester of college so I was really lenient on the rules with my very first roommate. I was trying to prevent any possible arguments or altercations between me and the person I lived with. Like I said before I was staying in a dorm where we shared one room, one bathroom, and one shower. I liked to sleep with the thermostat on cool because I'd rather be cold and have blankets than be hot and take forever to cool down. Now for her, it was completely the opposite. There were days when I would sweat in my sleep because the thermostat was on seventy-eight degrees Fahrenheit on the heat setting. This happened on more than one occasion. Did I mention that she also had a separate heater? No one ever needs that much heat in their life. For those of you who love to have the thermostat on a thousand, I don't know if we could ever be friends.