Things I'm Going To Miss The Most In College

There are so many things that we get used to over the years, and when we leave our comfort zone, those things become very apparent when you start to miss them.

95

Going into freshman year of college, I have a lot of new experiences awaiting me. This also means I have a lot I'm leaving behind. Move-in day is fastly approaching, and incoming college students everywhere are scrambling around trying to pack every last item that they think they will need for the coming year. It's terrifying leaving home, and leaving the comfort of what you have been used to your whole life. As an incoming freshman, I have made a list of things that I am certain I'm going to miss about living away from home.

My parents.

this one is completely obvious, my parents have been in my life since birth and have been my security blanket ever since. I'm going to miss having them there to vent to, to help me with projects, to give me advice without asking for it. All those little things you don't seem to notice on a daily basis are definitely going to become the things I miss the most about them.

Home cooked meals.

I don't know if everyone can say this, but I have an two excellent cooks (also known as my parents) who always make a delicious meal for me every night. Soon, it's going to be dining hall food for me every night and while I'm sure it will be good food at school, I'm going to miss their cooking like crazy.

My closet.

I'm a girl and I'm extremely attached to my closet. I'm about to go from a walk in closet to some drawers and shelves, so that is going to be one big challenge. Not having every article of clothing I have ever bought in my closet ready for me for any occasion is going to be difficult.

Driving.

The worst thing about having to be 16 years old to get your license is that you will only have driven for about 2 years before you leave for school. I absolutely love driving and the freedoms that come along with it, and I'm going to miss it so much when I leave.

My friends.

As the day of departure creeps forward, nerves set in about leaving the people closest to us. Boyfriends, girlfriends, best friends. People we have spent every day with, often times every year with are all going off to different places around the country and that is extremely disheartening. Thank God for FaceTime and technology that can keep us in touch effortlessly, because friendships should never be lost from distance.

My bed.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have a very comfortable and soft queen sized bed and I'm about to go sleep in a twin sized bed for a year. Enough said.

Showering without needing shoes.

I have a slight fear of other people's feet and I'm not too ecstatic about showering in a communal bathroom where I have to wear flip flops.

Privacy.

I'm looking forward to having a roommate, especially because it could be like having a sister I've never had with me away at college. However, we all love having our own space and our own time, so privacy is a big thing I'm going to miss.

Having less responsibility.

High school is a stressful time for a lot of people, but college is where the real responsibility is going to set in. You don't have your parents to wake you up every day, to tell you to go to class, to tell you what to eat and to do your homework. It's all on you. Those responsibilities can wear on you, enough that you begin to miss the days that you had less.

College is going to be a time for some new experiences; some scary, some amazing. Either way, leaving our lives behind to start our new one at college can lead to us missing what we have always been used to. Just keep an open mind about things that will become your new normal and you'll find your comfort again.