3 Lessons 'Project Pan' Taught Me About Makeup

Spring cleaning and decluttering.

2260
Miranda Price

Spring cleaning is just around the corner, and this could be a good way to declutter some makeup. For those of you who don't know, "Project Pan" is a popular YouTube topic where people set aside certain makeup/body products that they would like to focus on using up. This usually goes on for about a year, but the exact rules of the challenge can be up to the individual. I started doing this a couple of months ago and have been going through different makeup products each month. At first, this process was pretty stressful, and I wasn't really into it. It felt like I was focusing too much on using products up instead of enjoying them. But once I adjusted my process and my mindset, I actually started seeing some benefits to this process. I figured I could share some of my experience with you, and you can see whether or not it's something you'd want to try.

Here are three things I learned from the "Project Pan" challenge:

1. Makeup should spark joy.

I'm picking up a phrase from Marie Kondo that I feel coincides with this Project. The point isn't just to use up products you don't like so that you aren't being wasteful. You're trying to make room in your makeup collection for products that you love. You are taking out stuff that you don't really want anymore in order to bring out the things that you do want. There were products I used up that I liked but that I didn't want drawing attention away from products that I liked better. Makeup shouldn't be stressful, and you shouldn't have a massive amount that freaks you out. It's supposed to be something fun.

2. Rediscover products you love.

In this process, I actually found products that I had forgotten how much I liked. I saw something that was getting old and decided it was time to use it again, and it ended up being one of my favorite products. It's like giving that mascara or lipstick one more chance to make you happy before it needs to be taken out to pasture. You kinda give it a little life again.

3. Know when to stop.

Let's be honest, if you decide to do "Project Pan" because you want to do a little decluttering, then perhaps you need to take a break from your makeup purchases. Even if you use makeup every single day, you only have one face. Take time to enjoy the products that you have instead of filling up the space you made with more stuff that you'll probably have to declutter later.

There are plenty of YouTube videos you can watch to learn more about this challenge. Just type it into the search bar, and you'll find several people participating. Even if you don't like their rules for it, feel free to come up with your own. I hope these tips inspired you to do a little decluttering.

Good luck!