18 Things College Students Are Extremely Thankful For

We all have something we're thankful for!

327
Jeremy Thomas

Sometimes in the heat of the moment and the stress of the semester, it seems impossible to find things to be grateful and thankful for. Luckily this list is full of things even the most pessimistic college student can get excited over.

1. Curved Exam Grades

Bless the curve!! It’s saved many a quiz score, exam grade, or midterm. And there’s always something comforting about knowing that everyone else failed as hard as you did. Here’s to hoping professors keep curving grades and also hoping there’s not some random smart kid that actually studied and got a 97% to set the curve.

2. Naps

Napping is sometimes the only way to get through the day. Sometimes if you really need it, you can take more than one. I’m personally so thankful for the spaces I’ve made in my schedule specifically for napping because as a college student I need all the sleep I can get.

3. Cancelled Classes

Waking up and getting an email saying class is canceled is a joy that only happens every once and a while. Now that you don’t have that class, you can catch some ZZZs or catch up on that homework that you didn’t finish for class or plan on doing at all.

4. Therapy Dogs

Some universities will have therapy dog sessions where you can just chill and pet as many dogs as you can get your hands on. These sessions are especially during finals when you’re stressed out beyond belief. It’s good to get some paw-sitivity in your life towards the end of the semester to remind you what’s important. Dogs. They’re the only thing that matters.

5. Doing Better On An Assignment Than You Thought You Would

Sometimes you’ll turn something in, genuinely thinking you bombed that exam or tanked an assignment. You worry about it for days while it gets graded and then when you get it back, you actually did somewhat okay. Those are the moments to be thankful for in college.

6. Clean Laundry

Sometimes a clean basket of laundry is all you need. And ohhhh boy when you clean your sheets and hop into bed, that’s something to be really thankful for. Doing your laundry is sometimes just the essential self-care you need to be on your way to feeling great.

7. Extensions on Assignments

I’m always grateful for an extension on a project, assignment, or even just having a due date pushed back. Throughout the year, some professors can sense when the class is in need of a little good news.

8. GAME DAY

Whether it be the end of football season or the beginning of basketball season, now is the time to go out and support your team. There are tailgates and parties to go socialize at and they’re a great way to take a break from all the studying you’ve been doing.

9. Chill Attendance Policies

Whenever you can find a professor who has chill attendance policies, you’re in luck. They are very rare but they’re the ones who will understand the most if you miss a lecture or two. And they won’t be the ones docking points off your attendance grade throughout the semester when you want to skip class and sleep in.

10. Sweatshirts

Who isn’t thankful for a great sweatshirt? They’re the comfy, snuggly thing you’re craving once the temperature starts to drop along with your motivation for the semester.

11. Professors That Round

In the past, I feel like I’ve found every single professor who wouldn’t round your grade even if you had done everything and somehow had a 79.99999%. But when you find a prof who will work with you and round your grade, it’s the best feeling in the world. That can be the difference between a B and an A or an F and a D so that you can actually pass the class.

12. Dunkin' Donuts Happy Hour

If you’re craving some coffee or tea to get you through your eight-hour cram sesh in the library, stop by Dunkin' Donuts to get a medium coffee or tea full of the caffeine you need to stay awake. They’re only 99 cents, what’s not to love?

13. Free Food

What college student would ever turn down free food? We’ll take all the coupons and free Redbulls that we can get our hands on; especially now that it’s almost finals time and stumbling on free food is the only way we remember to take breaks from studying.

14. Free Parking

Parking on any college campus is an absolute nightmare. There are so many different kind of lots, passes, hours, and nothing is simple. And then once you actually find parking, it’s either full or super expensive. For those reasons, coming across free parking will always be something I’m very thankful for.

15. Free T-Shirts

Sometimes leasing companies, other local businesses, or campus activities will have free shirts or other prizes they hand out on the quad just to get some free advertisement. It gets their name out there and it adds another shirt to your collection.

16. Free Anything

Moral of the story, if you can get free food, clothes, gift cards, coupons, or anything else on campus, take it. You’re a broke college student and you can’t afford to pass up stuff that’s literally being handed to you.

17. Higher Learning

Sadly this one doesn’t come for free and has a pretty expensive price tag, but it’s something that I’m extremely grateful for. I’m so thankful that I’ve been given a chance to learn and experience college in general. Being able to better myself and plan for my future and career is something I’ve really come to value.

18. Thanksgiving Break

Luckily we’ll be getting a break soon from all this homework and school work which means winter break is right around the corner!! Thanksgiving break also means we get to go home, see our pets, family and friends and of course, stuff our faces with as much food as we can find.

These are just some of the many different things we can be thankful as we head into the end of the semester. Be on the lookout for any free food coming your way and any help your professors are willing to offer. The holiday season is coming up fast which means Thanksgiving and winter break are within reach. And we only have a few more actual weeks of class so don’t worry, as long as you can find some dogs to pet and you’ve got a clean sweatshirt to snuggle up in, we’ll make to next year in one piece.