21 Things I Want To Do Before I Turn 21

21 Things I Want To Do Before I Turn 21

Every one, keep me accountable. This is what I want to do before I become an adult.

179
21 Things I Want To Do Before I Turn 21
Sara Merg

I don't know why, but I just randomly thought of turning 21 today and had kind of a shock when I realized how much I wanted to do before I became an official adult. I feel like the appeal of doing things start dissipating once you become this supposedly mature citizen. Also, I want to do certain things like learn to do a split before my body begins deteriorating from age. So here's a list of things I want to do before ADULTHOOD!! Hopefully, this keeps me accountable:

1. Go Karaoke in NYC

Guys, I've been singing Since You Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson since I was a CHILD. But, it's been a while since I've gone out to Karaoke and I'm starting to really miss the random depressing Korean music videos that play on the screen. This has got to happen soon! For some reason, I have this preconceived notion that it'll be a better experience if I go out with my girls in the city.

2. Take a Trip by Myself

I love doing things by myself. I go to the movies, eat out, sit in the park for hours, all alone and it's great. Lately though, I've been depending on people to help me fill up time and I've been bothered as to why. I think I need a weekend trip alone and find the peace of enjoying my own company again.

3. Work Out Regularly

Friends, I plan on going to Italy for Spring Break. I want to look my best y'all.

4. Go on a Road Trip With Friends.

My roommates and I have this master plan to take my car and drive to New Orleans this summer. I'm down (not going to flake unless other important things come up, hehe, squad don't hate me).

5. Sky Dive

Let's be real, I think this is something that every person has to experience. I mean, you have the chance to fall out of an airplane and most likely live. Why wouldn't you?

6. Begin Learning a New Language

I heard learning languages are supposed to be easier if you're bilingual. I don't remember who the F%CK told me this but I'm gonna try and just START to learn one. Perhaps Spanish or Italian??

7. Hike a Mountain to See the Sunrise

HIKING'S GREAT AF. HOWEVER, for some universal reason, I NEVER WAKE UP EARLY ENOUGH TO CATCH THE SUNRISE! It's so frustrating because I plan to hike in a week's advance and always run into some obstacle like, a flat tire, that stops me from seeing the sun come up. I'm determined though. I have about 10 months to accomplish this.

8. Take More Pictures.

I have a really nice film camera that my boss gave me as a going away gift two years ago. I haven't used it once. It's been idle for a while now; just collecting dust. I need to use it, though, as I feel bad for letting something extremely nice go to waste.

9. Get Comfortable in my Own Skin

I'll write about this in a later post but this is pretty straightforward.

10. Stop Trying to Impress People

Whether it's family, friends, or the nonexistent cute guy in my psych course, I catch myself doing certain things or saying stupid lines to in the hopes that it'll make me look better than I am. It's stupid and yet I do it. People, I'm working on it.

11. Stop Pressuring Myself to Plan my Life Out

Man to be 100% honest, I have been the least productive this year than I have any other year of my life, and yes I'm including the year I was born. Apparently, I cried LITERALLY for 24/7, my mother had to be hospitalized because she lacked sleep. Infant me never rested. But, I want to be okay with this. I've had people left and right screaming into my ear that nothing in life ever goes according to plan, yet I sit for two hours and list out every detail on what I have to do to become (blank) in the next five years. Of course, this plan changes CONSTANTLY. As of now, my plan is to become a yoga instructor. I started last week.

12. Don't be so dependent on people

As I explained earlier, I feel the need to be with someone more and more now. And if I'm not, I feel TERRIBLY ALONE. This isn't me. I used to loveeeeee solitude, I think it's actually a huge part of my definition. So, this is a goal I have to achieve.

13. Make more time for family

My grandmother passed away this past week and, yeah, it was devastating. I think the hardest part was seeing my mother go through the process of losing her mother. My mom called me some time after the passing and made me promise that I wouldn't live far from her once I have my own family. You see, my grandma lived in Korea all her life and my mom came to the states in her twenties. My mother only went back to Korea five times since then and rarely saw my grandma. She didn't want the same thing to happen to us and regretted never spending more time with her mom. I don't want the same regret.

14. Make amends

Damnnnnnnnn I have made some mistakes in life. This is true. Some of those mistakes are burning some bridges as if Hell had finally cracked open. Jesus, forgive me, please. I don't know what to say or how to apologize to some people. I think this is the hardest thing to achieve out of this whole list. If anyone has any suggestions, please, send them my way. I just want to resolve a few things with ex-friends and leave it on a better note.

15. Get into a new hobby

I don't know guys, I just want something new to do. I think Yoga is it! But then again, I've only done it for a week so, let's see how it goes.

16. Ask someone out

THIS IS SO IMPORTANT TO ME. I JUST NEED TO DO IT ONCE IN MY LIFE. WHY? CUZ GIRL POWER, BADASSNESS, AND YEAH.

17. Learn How to Apply Makeup

Yeah I'm 20 and I don't know how to apply makeup. It's a bit sad.

18. Learn to Forgive Myself

Like I said before, I have made mistakes. A TON. I mean friends, I've been sh!tty and boy I really wish I could turn back time and stop myself from doing/saying things. But, that's not how life works. It sucks that way, time only goes in one direction and all I can seem to do is come to terms on what I've done. With this goal, I just want to try and not hate myself for doing certain things. I think some time has passed and it's not healthy for me to keep replaying those sorrows.

19. Stay Out All Night for a Night

I don't think I need an explanation for this. I'm young, Imma celebrate it.

20. Ride my Skateboard to Somewhere

I have this skateboard. It's really cute. I do know how to ride it. Am I good? No. But, I bought it for something and that something was to get me to places. I should at least use it to get to A place.

21. Kiss Someone Under the Mistletoe

My roommates suggested this. Yeah, why the hell not. Christmas is coming.