art major starting salaries
Art

If You're A Studio Art Major, You Hear These Comments All The Time, And It's Not A Pretty Picture

"So, are you going to try to marry rich since you'll be a starving artist?"

166
woman painting

I will be a freshman in the fall, and I just picked my major. I chose graphic design, but I haven't even started school yet and I have already experienced the prejudice that comes with being an "easy" major. Artists, in my opinion, are just as important as engineers and doctors.

Sure, artists serve a completely different purpose, but without art, life would be dull.

1. "Your degree is useless!"

OK... so is your attitude...

2. "OMG can you draw me?"

This is met with a shake of the head and an eye roll. But then maybe I would draw you just because I like drawing people.

3. "My classes are way harder than yours. I'm so jealous of your schedule."

Haha, OK, buddy. Art classes are difficult in their own way. I'm sure you couldn't draw what I can draw, just as I can't solve the calculus problems you can solve.

4. "I have a friend who is good at art."

OK, cool. Your point?

5. "Are your parents OK with you being an art major? My mom would KILL me!"

Yes, my parents actually encouraged me to choose this major. They support me 100%. I'm sorry yours don't.

6. "So, are you going to try to marry rich since you'll be a starving artist?"

I'll marry whoever I want to, not that I'm even thinking about marriage right now. AND, Graphic Designers and other artists actually DO make a decent living with their work... not that it's any of your business how much I will make, anyways.