Things I Am Afraid Of After I Graduate College

40
Brett McHale

I will be graduating from college next semester and while many things do not scare me except for spiders, I am terrified at the thought of not being in school. Here are a few reasons why:

1. I won't make it in the real world.

I suppose anyone is afraid of this, but speaking from my perspective, up until now I have been in school. It has taken up the majority of my time and I am not sure I know anything else. Once you graduate it is recommended that you get a job, but that is easier said than done.

Photo Credit: Aditya Pulavarti

2. I am not prepared to graduate.

What I mean by this is that I have this dream in my head that I will graduate, get my dream job, and move to a big city like NYC or LA but the closer I get to graduation the more I begin to realize that this dream isn't very realistic. This relates to my first fear, in that you are not guaranteed a job when you graduate and with $23,000+ in debt, that is absolutely terrifying to me.

Photo Credit: Kappit

3. My degree will be useless.

Being an art major I hear that my degree is useless a lot and it gets old very quickly. I have had friends who have graduated and then say that all your degree is, is a piece of paper saying that you went to college and that people hardly ever get a career in their major of study. Being an art major, I do not really know anything else.

Photo Credit: GraphJam

4. Getting stuck

I mean this in many different dimensions such as getting stuck with a job that I hate or getting stuck in this state. There is probably nothing more terrifying to me than getting stuck in Tennessee. Nothing personal, I just feel like I have more potential.

Photo Credit: Cattime

5. All of the debt

I have already mentioned a very conservative amount of debt when I am quite sure it is a lot more than that and will be even higher when I graduate. I essentially have 6 months to find a job that pays well enough to where I can make the minimum payment on this debt. I don't even want to think about the interest.

Photo Credit: Quickmeme