They Will - A Poem

They Will - A Poem

A poem describing doubt others instill in yourself.
51

They will doubt you and say
you are incapable of reaching
your highest potential.

They will remind you that you're
wrong for setting goals
they think are unattainable.

They will tell you to
lower your standards
to fit a mold they believe
you fall under.

They will convince you you're
wasting your time pursuing
higher education, hissing in your ear:
"having a degree doesn't mean
you'll get a better job."

They wonder what if,
glaring at students walking by
their office window, smiling
without a care in the world.

They will ask what you're going to do
with your liberal arts degree, stating that
you'll end up "working retail" or "pouring
coffee" for the rest of your life.

They sit behind a desk for
40 hours per week, watching the
clock, calculating, questioning
how they ended up here.

They will remind you you're still single
because your standards are too high,
taunting you for being "alone," implying
that waiting for the right person
makes you "close-minded."

They stay in a sham of a
relationship they are unhappy in
with someone they've already
said they see no future with.

They will tell you that you ask
for too much,
want too much,
and imply you don't deserve it.

They will make you feel
wrong for reaching,
bad for wanting, and
unworthy of achieving your dreams.

They will steal your hope and
suck out your happiness -
dementors in disguise.

Do not let them.

Cover Image Credit: Mandy Huppertz-Dinse

I'm The Girl Without A 'Friend Group'

And here's why I'm OK with it

922607

Little things remind me all the time.

For example, I'll be sitting in the lounge with the people on my floor, just talking about how everyone's days went. Someone will turn to someone else and ask something along the lines of, "When are we going to so-and-so's place tonight?" Sometimes it'll even be, "Are you ready to go to so-and-so's place now? Okay, we'll see you later, Taylor!"

It's little things like that, little things that remind me I don't have a "friend group." And it's been like that forever. I don't have the same people to keep me company 24 hours of the day, the same people to do absolutely everything with, and the same people to cling to like glue. I don't have a whole cast of characters to entertain me and care for me and support me. Sometimes, especially when it feels obvious to me, not having a "friend group" makes me feel like a waste of space. If I don't have more friends than I can count, what's the point in trying to make friends at all?

I can tell you that there is a point. As a matter of fact, just because I don't have a close-knit clique doesn't mean I don't have any friends. The friends I have come from all different walks of life, some are from my town back home and some are from across the country. I've known some of my friends for years, and others I've only known for a few months. It doesn't really matter where they come from, though. What matters is that the friends I have all entertain me, care for me, and support me. Just because I'm not in that "friend group" with all of them together doesn't mean that we can't be friends to each other.

Still, I hate avoiding sticking myself in a box, and I'm not afraid to seek out friendships. I've noticed that a lot of the people I see who consider themselves to be in a "friend group" don't really venture outside the pack very often. I've never had a pack to venture outside of, so I don't mind reaching out to new people whenever.

I'm not going to lie, when I hear people talking about all the fun they're going to have with their "friend group" over the weekend, part of me wishes I could be included in something like that. I do sometimes want to have the personality type that allows me to mesh perfectly into a clique. I couldn't tell you what it is about me, but there is some part of me that just happens to function better one-on-one with people.

I hated it all my life up until very recently, and that's because I've finally learned that not having a "friend group" is never going to be the same as not having friends.

SEE ALSO: To The Girls Who Float Between Friend Groups