6 Reasons Why You Should Attend The International Thespian Festival

You have the opportunity to experience something different and life changing!
59

The International Thespian Festival is an annual event that takes place in Lincoln, Nebraska every summer. It is meant for high school students from all over the globe and interested in theatre who have been inducted into the Internation Thespian Society. It is a week full of various theatre workshops, performances, and classes that are sure to be plenty of fun.

1. Making new friends.

If you are attending the event, you are most likely interested in theatre. The best part is, so is everyone else that attends! This is the perfect place to make friends as you all have at least one thing in common. During many of the workshops, you will be expected to leave your comfort zone and talk to people that you normally wouldn't as well. You are almost sure to leave with many new friends from all over the world.

2. Many different performances.

The shows that are performed at this festival range from musicals to one-acts to plays and even improv. You are bound to be exposed to something that you haven't seen before, allowing you to broaden your horizons and be introduced to something new.

3. Auditioning for dozens of colleges in one audition.

College auditions can be one of the scariest experiences when attempting to become a theatre major. This is made much easier when you can audition for multiple colleges at once. The International Thespian Festival allows you this opportunity for one small fee. This one opportunity makes the entire experience worth it.

4. Take what you learned back home with you.

The workshops at the festival range from costuming to lighting to directing to sound and any aspect of theatre that you can think of really. You will more than likely learn something new. You can then take that knowledge back to your school and help your school productions to grow from said knowledge.

5. Bonding with your troupe.

While you may do shows and performances with your high school's theatre troupe every year, you may not know everyone as well as you would like to. What better way to bond with them than attending a huge theatre festival with them where you are forced to share meals and live in close quarters.

6. Performing in front of thousands of people.

Getting a show onto mainstage at this festival is a very difficult process, but if your troupe works hard enough, you may be able to perform for many theatre kids from all over the country. Everyone in the audience will understand the tireless efforts you put into the performance because they have all experienced the same things. This is bound to be the most appreciative audience that you've ever had for a performance. They sure do love standing ovations!

As someone that attended the festival twice, I strongly believe that this is a fantastic opportunity for anyone with a strong love of theatre and the arts in general. Go out, spread your wings, and experience something new and life changing!