There Are Ways To Handle An Autistic Meltdown, Prone Restraint Is Not One Of Them

Sias new film "'Music'' has already sparked a lot of controversies, with casting a non-autistic actress Maddie Ziegler to play an autistic character in the film (my opinion right here)because some saw it as another opportunity taken away from them and weren't too happy with Sias response.

Now after what I am about to talk about definitely won't want to see this movie now

Now Sia is back in the spotlight and not in a good way either.

There is a scene where Ziegler's character is having a meltdown in the park and Kate Hudson doesn't know how to calm her down and Leslie Odom Jr shows her how by the ways of prone restraint.

Many parents who have autistic children have shown excitement for having non-verbal autistics be represented. However, will they feel represented when it comes to calming to their child down?

I don't think this is the best representation of autistic individuals especially if they are showing that prone restraint is okay.

Prone restraint is when someone may be having a meltdown and the adult sits in the child sometimes making it hard for them to breathe. Imagine a fully grown adult sitting on a small child just to get them to stop crying, they shout "I can't breathe" then the parent says if you can talk you can breathe. which is not the case at all,

If Sia had taken more time and spoken to people who were actually autistic she would know that this can literally kill us.

To all teachers, caregivers, parents, friends, family, please realize that what you are doing is killing an autistic individual, there are always better ways to handle an autistic meltdown but putting them in a position where they can't even breathe is not the way at all.

Also don't support "Music" instead there is so many different films and TV shows you can be supported, like "Everything is Going To Be Okay"'

Sia please read the news and watch what is going on right now, do some research, and look up some fun facts on the internet just to keep you educated.