5 Reasons Therapy Is What We All Need

5 Reasons Therapy Is What We All Need

We all have problems. We all need therapy, especially during COVID.

12
5 Reasons Therapy Is What We All Need

Everyone has problems, everyone struggles. No matter how privileged or perfect we think someone else's life may be, we only know what is on the outside. That's why we need to stop making these assumptions and instead, work to ensure that our whole society world is treated with respect when it comes to mental health.

There are many reasons why a person could or should seek therapy. Something else that needs to be said is that mental health is just as important, if not MORE important, than physical health. So, when there is something in a person's life that they feel like they feel like they can't handle or can't talk to those around them about, there is a place for them.

Here are 13 reasons why people should at least try therapy.

1. It can be a de-stress tool.

1. It can be a de-stress tool. We all know how life is. So many people go from one thing to the next without taking the time to relax and think about what has been happening to them. Therapy (or talking to someone in general) can be a time to debrief all of the things that we push away on a normal day. Talking through things makes them seem a deal smaller than we picture them in our heads. This also cuts down on the overthinking that we tend to do because there is another person to help us balance logic and emotion.

2. Our world is so full of negativity. Most people can agree that there has been a lot happening in our world as of late. From a virus that hasn't even infected a fourth of our population but has the power to shut down a nation, to an election that was far more personal than political, we have much going on. The constant bombardment from social media and news outlets doesn't help either. Most of the time, all we are seeing is how our world isn't good and that there are so many bad people. Honestly, it becomes too much after hearing it so often.

Therapy is a place that one can go and talk about whatever they need. It is somewhere that politics and the news can't reach if you don't want them to. Therapists are supposed to be unbiased listeners who help us understand ourselves and our problems. When we get to that point, we can start to unravel the rest of the world.

3. We have been in various states of quarantine. This quarantine has not been good for people. We are isolated from each other and stuck inside. There has been an increase in suicides and alcoholism because of this. There are people who are in abusive situations, unable to escape, people who are jobless and homeless, the list goes on. The point is, that we are not okay. We are stuck and there is not much we can do to fix it.

Being stuck is not a good feeling. Being alone isn't good for humans. Therapy is a way for us to know that we are not alone. Due to Coronavirus, it is virtual (like most everything else now) so that people don't have to leave their houses or be afraid. We can talk about the fear that so many of us are feeling, the grief of loosing people or not being able to do as much.

4. Our country is changing. Like I said before, we had an election recently. Suffice it to say...it was rough for a lot of people. No matter what party or candidate you support, there were a bunch of negatives that came a long with making the choice to vote for them. Least of which was actual policy. Because of the type of media coverage and the way that we viewed this election, there was going to be a lot of unrest no matter who was elected. I have seen first hand the devastation that this has caused. Families and friendships are being torn apart because people are unable to separate who someone voted for and who that person is to them.

These things are weighing heavy on many and they need to be dealt with in positive ways instead of with hate. Therapy can be a place where you learn to differentiate who you and others are and who you supported.

5. Everyone deserves to be heard. There is so much happening, it's all very loud. Due to that, those who haven't spoken up or those who aren't loud enough get pushed away and ignored. We don't always notice that our friend is slipping away from us or that a colleague isn't doing their best because they are afraid to say anything. Most of us are much too busy with our own problems to wonder about anyone else. That is why therapy can be good for those people. Talking with a professional can help someone find the voice they need and be able to speak up about the things that are happening.