Theories On The Last Jedi

Theories On The Last Jedi

The last Jedi could be one person or many, lets speculate!

15
Theories On The Last Jedi
Starwars.com

Last week, Disney released the name to Star Wars Episode Eight: "The Last Jedi." The letters making up Star Wars are red rather than the typical yellow that they usually are. This is sparked many different theories and speculations. I want to discuss the top three characters the title may be referring to, while also keeping in mind that Jedi is plural and could hint at more than one person. The top three people who the title may be referring to are Luke Skywalker, Rey, and/or Kylo Ren. These three characters will be the main focus in episode eight and could truly be "The Last Jedi."

The prime candidate for the title of "The Last Jedi" is Luke Skywalker. He is known to be the last Jedi ever since Yoda passed in "Empire Strikes Back" and has since held that status. As far as we know, the group of Jedi he was trying to teach the ways of the force to have been killed by Kylo Ren after being persuaded by the infamous Snoke. There is some speculation that Rey was one of those younglings that Luke was teaching and Luke was able to save her from Ren's saber. If so, then the two have been reunited to stop the force that initially cut them apart. This leads into Jedi being plural. Luke and Rey may be the last two Jedi that must stop the forces of evil that are trying to take over the galaxy. This would lead to defeating Snoke and possibly Kylo Ren if he decides against joining Luke and Rey.

Kylo Ren or Ben Solo, was also one of those young Jedi being taught the ways of the force until Snoke persuaded him to join the dark side. Ben could still turn back, but face the regret and depression of killing his father which was the pinnacle of his complete turn to the dark side. Kylo Ren could be that last Jedi due to the fact that the title is red instead of the basic yellow. We can expect nods to "Empire Strikes Back" in ways such as the bad guys winning a small battle at the end of the movie. In "Empire Strikes Back," for example, it's Han Solo being placed in carbonite and Luke losing his hand. Will we see Rey lose a limb in the next film? Maybe, but we are not sure what the red title entails exactly.

Many believe Luke will be killed off and return later as a force ghost leaving Rey to finish her training on her own. This would allow Rey to bring balance to force if she is the true chosen one where both the light and dark side come together to create peace. Bringing balance to the force is not having just two Jedi and two Sith, it's bringing both sides together and creating peace for the galaxy and those who live in it. The Sith went through a transformation that is now the Knights of Ren, so it's possible that Rey may transform the Jedi in her own way.

Remember that his is all speculation and we cannot be sure until episode eight, "The Last Jedi," releases in theaters later this year. Once we get our first trailer, speculations and theories will pop up everywhere that may or may not be true. Until then, we can only speculate what may happen in the next chapter of Star Wars.