THEATRE-A WORLD OF...

THEATRE-A WORLD OF...

Theatre and what it means to be apart of a world that is so (un)like you're own.

18
THEATRE-A WORLD OF...
Ramona Hillside Players

What does theatre mean to you? Perhaps it means a performance you saw when you were young. Maybe when you hear the word you associate it with well known Broadway shows, such as Phantom of the Opera, Hamilton, Wicked, etc... or you may attribute it to glamour and stardom and of course the tragedy, comedy masks. For some though, it's a home, a way of life.

Many people, including myself eat, breath, and live theatre. No matter how hard we try to escape it (and some try) we can never get away from it. It calls to us like a moth to a flame. It's in our blood and we can't let go of it. Theatre is where you can go to get away from your troubles.

For me and many of my friends, theatre was a home a way from home and the crazy cast and crew of the productions were one very weird, very elaborate family that we grew to love and support one another. We had no judgements and you didn't have to worry about fitting in...or did you?

I'm going to tell the truth or close to the truth from what I've seen of theatre. Everyone says you get a fair chance at getting cast in the lead, but in reality that's not true. There is something about directors, now I will say, not all directors are this way, but I have seen some where it is the case that they will cast the same person or the same "type" in role after role. Now when I say type, I mean a pretty, talented in 3 categories: singing, dancing, and acting; they're called Triple Threats and are usually the ones who get the lead roles. It's not such a bad thing, because if they have the talent and are the best choice for the role then go for it. However, what about the ones that may not be quite there yet, where do they go? They never get a chance at being the led role because they may not have the look, or the voice, they may not have the ideal figure for the role, but correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't theatre about giving everyone a fair shot?

The only productions I ever get cast in are plays, plays are different from musicals in the fact that one involves singing, the other doesn't. I always enjoy the plays I'm cast in, even though I'm usually a furry animal. Shout out to my high school drama teacher, Glenn Weyler. But he sort of stereotyped me, another director I worked with, gave me a shot at doing something new and getting out of my comfort zone.

That is the purpose of theatre, to get out there and try something new. Yes, you might be scared to try it at first, but you have to overcome that fear. It won't do to be in a box your whole life and never experience that rush of euphoria of playing the same old character show and show again. It gets boring because there is only so much you can do, and so far you can take it before you run out of options.

Now this brings me back to my point about casting. The ones that get cast usual play the same role over and over again and there is no variety. Now, if you got someone new in the role, then they bring a whole new outlook to the role and that character.

Theatre is this world of make believe and fantasy that you can escape to for a couple of hours. But I don't think that people realize the full extent that those in the field put into making a show "perfect", but let's be honest there is no such thing as perfect. We put our hearts, minds, bodies, and even our souls into it, because it's not just a hobby, it's a form of expression. We lay our souls bare for the audience and show them at our most vulnerable. To show that type of emotion to a crowd full of strangers is a moment that lives with you and it's empowering and a talent you possess, because to be able to cry on cue takes talent.

Theatre is a world you can submerge yourself in and never have to walk away from, at least that is what many people have told me. I mean I did theatre for 17 years of my life. My theatre teacher in high school said that I will never escape it, and he expects to see me on a cruise ship in 10 years. My directors that I've worked with said that I would be right back up onstage during college, well I've proven them wrong a little bit. This first semester I'm not involved with theatre, maybe next semester though.

But theatre is not just a world for acting, it's a world for technicians, construction, anything and everyone. By doing theatre you shape the way you can work with people and show talents not just in the performing arts, but in almost all careers. Theatre brings in some of the most interesting people ever and if you only did it as a hobby, what you learned from being apart of this community, you can take and use in your daily life.

So, theatre is a world of imperfection, flaws, showing ourselves to the world, learning, family, anything and everything. It's this moment in life where you are the freest you have ever been in life. So, would I take back the years I spent doing theatre...no. I recommend it for anyone. Theatre is a world that you can submerge yourself in and never want to leave. It's a world that makes all the difference and can change the lives of those it touches. A world for anyone's taking.