Theatre Is Cool Again

Theatre Is Cool Again

A latecomer's take on the theatrical arts.

11
Theatre Is Cool Again
kpbs.org

Is theatre important to you? Do you think about the theatre often? At all? I’m sure you’ve seen a play or two, maybe in high school. You’ve heard of Hamilton by now. You probably know The Book of Mormon, too. Those are fairly new. You’ve probably at least heard of some of the classics: My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof, A Streetcar Named Desire. You probably know all the shows that became movies: The Sound of Music, Jersey Boys, A Streetcar Named Desire. But is theatre important?

A hundred fifty years ago, theatre was the only way we could experience actors, writers, directors, and technicians coming together to form an artistic product that stimulated both eyes and ears, and until the rise of film in the first half of the twentieth century, going to see a live show was the hip-happening thing to do. Then suddenly Hollywood takes over and Broadway is no longer the hot property is used to be.

Let me tell you something, though. The theatre is quite remarkable. Live theatre is about the closest thing we have to real magic.

My high school did musicals. My Fair Lady, Beauty and the Beast, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, and Grease, to be exact. I had also seen The Music Man at an historic theatre in my hometown, but before I went off to school, that’s all I really knew: four incredibly popular musicals and one I would later discover was also well known. So when I got to Wright State and saw Harvey performed by fellow students, I didn’t really know what to expect. I was amazed by the talent on stage flowing from people no more than four years my senior, but I was not nearly taken by the theatre. I was used to movies, where the actors talk like normal humans and camera angles establish tension. Hey, I was young.

Then, after a year or so of media experimentation, I developed a deep admiration for the geniuses Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I learned that I loved South Park, I watched Team America for the first time understanding the jokes, and through the guidance of a deeper admirer, I found Cannibal! The Musical and Orgazmo. So naturally what followed was spending too much money on tickets to see The Book of Mormon when the tour came to Toledo. Man, was that a fun show, but I still didn’t really appreciate the theatrical part of it. The show was funny, the songs were great, the acting was fantastic, but that’s really all I noticed. I was seeing a live movie, essentially.

I didn’t gain an appreciation for the theatre until last year. First, I took a class with one of the most memorable professors I’ve had, and I would guess one the most influential at the university (maybe Ohio, the world even). It was a playwriting course where I learned how plays work. I wrote a shitty semi-autobiographical play that seemed whiney to me. That’s not the point. What I took away most were the workshop experience—learning from others’ successes—and discussions about life and the lives around us. I got my first taste of what theatre actually does. Then, armed with this knowledge, I had an opportunity to experience it, again.

Some fellow students put together a small showcase of ten-minute plays they had written for the same class the previous year. I was interested and had no other plans, so I thought I would check it out. I tell you what, these weren’t trained actors, these weren’t professional playwrights, but holy shit did I feel something that night. The old favorites can have their reruns in the big theatres. New plays are where the real shit happens, man.

The experience that finally sold it for me happened this past fall. Through the power of persuasion I was convinced by my best friend to join him in a musical at a local community theatre. It was a lesser-known musical called Eating Raoul. It was a kooky, kinky, campy, ridiculous-in-a-good-way kind of show, and probably the only type of show I would be comfortable in. They say performing is like a drug, the rush is so overwhelming, you can’t stop once you get it. I didn’t necessarily believe that until it happened for me.

Since it was our first go-around, the other cast members, as well as the various directors, were kind enough to guide us through the process of performing. In particular, a wonderful performer with more life experience than I should ever hope to obtain seemed to take us under her wing. We shared a certain scene and dance number with her, as well as the few minutes before we took the stage each night, so we got to know her over the few months of rehearsals and shows. I appreciated every conversation I had with her, and she soon became one of my favorite people.

She once explained that the most remarkable thing about theatre is that it takes tons of work and collaboration from so many people with their own talents to come together and make a show. Then all the work comes to a head. Everyone’s contributions come spilling out onto a stage and into the hearts of an audience. And, like a flash, it’s over. Once a show is finished, it can never be recreated. It’s gone and will never be experienced in the same way again. Magic.

So is theatre important? You be the judge. Go out and see a show. Forgo that movie and check out a local production, particularly something new, something no one knows, yet. There are stories being told on stages all over, and much more on their way. I hope you can experience them. Have a nice day.