The YouTube Revolution

The YouTube Revolution

#TeamInternet.

23
The YouTube Revolution
Tumblr

The Internet can be a fun and interesting place. With all the different platforms of social media, there is a multitude of ways to express (or embarrass) yourself. From cliché tweets on Twitter to filtered selfies on Instagram, we as a society enjoy the fact we have our own space to simply be ourselves. One platform that is growing at an insane rate for both recreation and career is YouTube, the video/sharing entertainment website. But the real question lies, how is a social media site turning normal people into millionaires?

Created in 2005, YouTube was made to make the video sharing experience easier. Within a year, their popularity had grown so immensely that Google bought them for $1.65 billion. For more than a decade now, millions of people have joined the community, creating their channels with diverse content. Makeup tutorials, comedy sketches, culinary creations, video gamers and so many more have found a platform to be themselves. But now doing what they love can become a multi-million dollar career.

Between the amount of subscriptions/views, product placement, advertisement and sponsorship, a YouTuber can make hundreds of thousands of dollars in just one day. Buy a T-shirt from their merch shop? Money. Go see them on tour? Money. Some have even branched off from their popularity on YouTube to create a brand for themselves.

One of the highest grossing YouTubers, Pewdiepie (Felix Kjellberg), grossed more than $12 million by the end of 2015. What does the Swedish native do to earn the big bucks? He plays video games. Yes, the recreational activity that a numerous amount of teenagers do every day. Playing a variation of games with a sense of humor has given him the fanbase and popularity over the years. Another popular YouTuber is Zoella (Zoe Sugg), a UK-born girl who turned her love for beauty and lifestyle into her career. Simply doing a makeup tutorial can earn her hundreds by showing what products she's using or clothes she's wearing. The British YouTuber took it one step farther by writing her own book series and creating her own beauty product line.

But is this technically a career? Yes, they put a lot of time into the filming and editing of each video with crazy deadlines, but there are other careers that do far more work for far less pay. Many would choose to disagree, but the perks definitely outweigh the cons for an Internet job. These Internet stars are willing to give up all their privacy to simply connect with others doing something they enjoy. One thing different about this career style is anyone can do it. You don't need a certain degree or know certain people. All you need is a camera, an idea and the motivation to accomplish it. I guess if you are doing what you love, anything can be a career as long as it's your passion. Do you think a YouTube career is a viable and legit option?